Pepper Steak is an easy and delicious Chinese American meal made with steak, sweet peppers, and a delicious homemade sauce served over rice. Marinate your steak overnight or during the day for a quick weeknight dinner option!
Who doesn’t love a good stir-fry recipe? This Pepper Steak recipe makes a deliciously easy dinner that anyone can prepare! You’re going to love how much flavor is packed into every bite! Juicy beef and sweet peppers cooked into a sweet and salty sauce mixed with a touch of lime juice. Is your mouth watering yet?
You’re also going to love that it reheats well, making it a great dinner idea that can extend into lunchtime the next day (or all week long if you’re meal prepping).
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What Is Pepper Steak?
Pepper Steak is a Chinese-American stir-fry recipe made with thinly sliced steak, peppers, and a homemade sauce made from soy sauce, seasoned rice wine vinegar, lime juice, and more.
Is Pepper Steak Hot?
While some may be hot, this one isn’t. It is made with mini sweet peppers and fairly mild seasonings.
Is Pepper Steak Healthy?
For the most part, this is a healthy dish. When divided into 4 servings, each one is just 250 calories (before adding rice)! The meat itself is low carb (5 net carbs per serving), however, the recipe as written is not keto-friendly.
The Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar has sugar in it. If you want to try and make a keto version, try substituting it for raw apple cider vinegar or a plain rice wine vinegar, however, you might miss the flavor notes the seasoned stuff adds.
But low carb means more room for delicious treats like Buckeye Brownies or Peanut Butter Fudge, amirite?
How To Make Pepper Steak:
Learning how to make Pepper Steak is super simple. You don’t need any special skills or tools to do it either!
- Begin by mixing together your marinade ingredients and prepping your steak. Marinate the steak for at least 1 hour, but can do up to 24-hours.
- One your steak is done marinating, cook until browned, then transfer to a separate plate or dish. Then saute the peppers and onions.
- Add in your sauce mixture and cook to thicken slightly. Finally add your beef back in and heat through.
- Serve with rice.
More Delicious Beef Recipes!
Slow Cooker Italian Beef – A Family Favorite!
Beef Burgundy – So Rich and Delicious!
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb top round steak trimmed
- 6 mini sweet peppers sliced
- 2 tablespoons green onions chopped
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Trim any excess fat off of the steak and slice the steak into thin strips and add to the marinade. Let the steak marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil steak to a large skillet, disposing of any excess marinade, and cook until browned.
- Remove meat from the skillet, add the remaining vegetable oil and sliced peppers and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add green onions to the peppers and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the sauce mixture and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the meat back in. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to reheat the meat. Serve over rice.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
this isn’t about this recipe, but I like all of yours. I had a chicken dorito dip or casserole once that was so good. a lil spicy and it had sour cream and cream of mush soup I believe, I cant find the recipe anywhere. do you have one? this was so good with corn chips and was made in a sheet pan. would appreciate any help!
You may like this Dorito Pie or Dorito Casserole. Enjoy Penny!
I love this recipe, and I am dying to try this, as rice is my favourite. You have captured the perfect picture. Now, It is hard to control my hunger.
Enjoy it Lucille!