This is definitely one of the best Beef Stroganoff Recipes you will make!
Beef stroganoff is an old-fashioned, quick and easy favorite that is creamy and delicious! Tender slices are beef are cooked with mushrooms in a creamy and savory gravy, then served over your choice of rice, potatoes, or noodles. Made in minutes using only one skillet, this hearty recipe is perfect for busy nights when dinner and clean up need to be done fast!
The Best Recipe for Beef Stroganoff!
- This recipe is the best because it has that slow-cooked flavor but is ready and on the table in minutes!
- Who doesn’t love one pot, comfort food recipes? They make quick and easy weeknight dinner options and can be reheated all week long!
- Modify the recipe and add some veggies! Try adding peas, corn, chopped spinach, or pearl onions.
Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
STEAK: Sirloin steak can be purchased whole or already cut into strips or chunks. Flank steak or skirt steak are also good choices for stroganoff. Leftover ground beef or roast can be used, simply begin the recipe in Step 2.
SAUCE: The best recipe for beef stroganoff starts with a rich and creamy sauce! Use full-fat cream cheese and sour cream with a little bit of Dijon mustard for a flavorful sauce that pairs well with seasoned steak and savory mushrooms. Greek yogurt can replace sour cream for a tangier sauce and fewer calories if desired.
SERVE WITH: There are so many options that go with beef stroganoff! Try tender egg noodles, homemade rice a roni, or garlic mashed potatoes. Add a crispy and colorful spinach and strawberry salad, and a side of carrots or cauliflower to round out the meal. Don’t forget a sweet cherry bake treat for dessert!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
This creamy and hearty dish is sure to please everyone at the dinner table.
- Cook sliced steak in small batches and remove from pan (as per the recipe below).
- Cook onion, add mushrooms and garlic.
- Mix remaining ingredients except for sour cream in the skillet and simmer until thickened.
- Add beef back to the skillet until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve hot.
If using a whole cut of beef, freeze it for about 30 minutes which makes it easier to handle while slicing, and always slice against the grain. Slicing this way helps break down the fibers so that it is more tender. Also, it’s helpful to bring the cream cheese to room temperature so that it will blend into the sauce quickly and easily.
What To Do with Leftovers?
Keep leftover beef stroganoff in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop, covered with foil in the oven, or in the microwave. Beef stroganoff can be frozen in zippered bags for up to 8 weeks. Thaw or cook from frozen on the stove.
Other Easy Beef Recipes!
- Easy Beef Stroganoff – extra easy recipe
- Cheesy Ground Beef Pasta – creamy and delish
- Creamy Beef Mushroom Stroganoff – made with ground beef
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry – simple skillet meal
- Crock Pot Beef And Gravy– so easy in the slow cooker!
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups fully cooked beef roast or pulled beef* or sirloin steak
- Cook onion in butter over medium heat until tender.
- If using fresh mushrooms, add them to the skillet with garlic powder and cook until liquid is released. Add cream cheese and stir until creamy.
- Whisk in beef broth and Worcestershire, simmer until creamy and slightly thick, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef to the skillet and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Check the deli area of the grocery store for fully cooked beef roast, or use leftover pot roast or roast beef.
- Alternately, use any leftover cooked beef (including ground beef) for this recipe.
- To cook steak:
- slice steak into ½-inch pieces
- heat oil over medium-high heat and cook steak in small batches until brown (1-2 minutes per side). It does not have to be cooked through, it will finish cooking in the sauce
- remove from skillet and proceed with the recipe above
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.