Everyone loves this hearty Crock Pot Beef and Gravy recipe!
Loads of peppers, onions, and mushrooms are simmered with beef in a savory onion soup and kept warm in a slow cooker for a quick and easy meal! Try using it for a tasty beef n bun meal, or simply serve slow cooked beef as the entree with mashed potatoes and some side dishes that will be easy to pair.
Easy Cheesy Beef N Buns Recipe!
- Cheesy beef and bun recipes may have regional differences but they all feature slow-cooked beef that is tender and delicious!
- Budget-friendly slow cooker beef is the perfect recipe for large families or when the whole gang comes over to watch the big game!
- This hot, hearty, and delicious recipe makes the ultimate party dish! Have guests make their own sandwiches, with all the fixin’s, straight from the Crockpot!
Ingredients and Variations
BEEF: Basic ground beef is best for this recipe, but any strip steak, round steak, or even stew meat will work.
BROTH: French onion soup and beef au jus give this recipe a rich flavor that infuses into the beef. For less onion flavor, use beef broth in place of the soup.
BUNS: Slow cooker beef calls for hefty buns! Hoagie rolls, ciabatta buns, and kaiser rolls are dense and will soak up the broth without falling apart. These homemade dinner rolls are also a great option for sliders.
CHEESE: Provolone and mozzarella are mild flavored and melt easily. Use a combination of both either sliced or shredded. Cheddar cheese and a Mexican 4 cheese blend are also delicious!
VEGETABLES: Colorful bell peppers, onions and thin slices of mushrooms add texture and flavor to this dish, but it’s easy to sneak in leftover vegetables if desired.
How to Make Crock Pot Beef and Gravy
- Brown beef, onion, and garlic. Drain the fat and place in slow cooker.
- Add veggies, a sprinkle of corn starch, pepper and stir. Add soup, au jus packet and Worcestershire.
- Slow cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Garnish with sliced pepperoncini peppers or jalapenos, if desired.
Ways to Serve Slow Cooker Beef and Gravy
Serve slow cooker beef and gravy in bowls with rolls for dipping, or make it kid-friendly and serve with macaroni noodles, or homemade garlic mashed potatoes. Add a crisp side salad, and a chocolatey Texas sheet cake for dessert!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- For easy cleanup, use a Crockpot liner.
- If using thick hoagie or ciabatta rolls, scoop out some of the bread to create a pocket. Layer the cheese and then the beef mixture on top.
- For a true street-food experience, toast the cut sides of the buns and then rub a clove of raw garlic over them before adding the beef mixture and cheese.
More Tasty Crockpot Recipes!
- Crockpot Meatloaf – extra moist
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Roast Beef – full of flavor!
- CrockPot Beef and Broccoli – perfect for busy weeknights
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast – juicy and delcious
Crock Pot Beef and Gravy
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms thickly sliced, optional
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 10.5 ounces condensed French Onion soup or beef broth if you can’t find French Onion
- 1 package au jus mix 0.87 ounces
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 large buns
- 2 cups provolone cheese or mozzarella, shredded (or a combination)
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet without breaking up the beef too much. Drain any fat.
- Place beef, peppers, and mushrooms (if using) into a slow cooker. Toss with cornstarch and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup, au jus mix, and Worcestershire sauce over top of mixture. Cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Place mixture into buns and top with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Use a Crockpot liner to make clean up super simple.
- Toast buns and rub a clove of raw garlic over them, or roast garlic and spread it over the toasted buns, before adding the beef mixture and cheese.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.