Beef Mushroom Stroganoff is a quick and easy meal that is a favorite as the weather starts to cool off. Homemade stroganoff is made even easier using cream of mushroom soup, which gives it a creamy consistency and a savory flavor.
Beef Mushroom Stroganoff
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What is Beef Stroganoff
Originally created in Russia, beef stroganoff is made with sautéed pieces of beef served in a rich, creamy sauce and served over noodles.
Ground beef stroganoff is definitely an American dish now. It’s fully immersed in the history of American cookery and has been a family favorite for generations!
Let’s Make It!
With just 10 minutes of prep this delicious beef stroganoff recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Saute ground beef, onion, and garlic powder. Adding mushrooms, beef consommé, salt and pepper. (see recipe below)
- Cook egg noodles until soft.
- Mix together all ingredients and let sit, covered for 5 minutes to let the flavors blend.
Adjust seasonings and serve hot with a side of cheesy breadsticks to soak up every last delicious drop!
Reheating Beef Stroganoff leftovers is so easy…if there are any! Beef stroganoff is great as a next-day lunch for work or even packed hot into a thermos for the kids’ lunchbox. Add freshly cooked egg noodles and a little extra sour cream to refresh it and serve again!
- In the Microwave: Add the leftovers to a microwave safe container and heat in the microwave for a few minutes, depending on portion size.
- On the Stove Top: Using a pot, mix a little milk into the leftovers and heat on low for about 10-15 minutes. Be sure to adjust the seasonings.
Delicious Pasta Main Dishes
- Creamy Garlic Pasta – one-pot pasta entree
- Italian Sausage Pasta – ready in less than 30 mins!
- Bang Bang Shrimp Pasta – covered in a creamy thai chili sauce!
- Cheesy Taco Pasta – great way to feed a crowd!
- Easy Chicken Spaghetti – make on the stovetop or CrockPot
Creamy Mushroom Beef Stroganoff recipe
- 1/2-1 pound lean ground beef use more or less to make it as meaty as desired, 1/2 lb is usually a great ratio
- 24-32 ounces medium-width egg noodles approx. 2 bags
- 2 cans mushrooms sliced & drained
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10.5 ounce can beef consomme an equal amount of beef broth plus one beef bouillon cube can be substituted
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, cover, leave it to boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, crumble the beef into a large saucepan, add chopped onion and garlic powder. Sauté on medium-high until the beef is browned and the onion is soft. If the beef lets off more than 3 tablespoons of fat, drain it carefully. A little bit of fat will help the dish, while too much will make it greasy.
- Add the mushrooms, consommé, salt, and pepper to the beef & onion mixture. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- When the water is boiling, add the noodles and cook until they are soft but not soggy. Drain carefully, leaving the noodles in the large pot.
- Add the ground beef & mushroom mixture, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream. Mix gently until everything is combined. Let it sit, covered, for about 5 minutes before serving, giving all the flavors some time to blend.
- This dish is best served on a plate since the flavors really develop as it cools. Taste before seasoning, then sprinkle sparingly with salt and pepper as desired.