This tasty Smothered Pork Chops recipe has a delicious southern flair that will make stuffing mix the new hero in the pantry!
These pork chops are first browned in a skillet and then finished in the oven. They come out fork tender with a crunchy topping and a creamy gravy sauce. It’s a savory meal that is pure comfort food!
Smothered Pork Chops
PIN IT to your DINNER BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Perfect Pork Chops
- Just 4 ingredients is all it takes to make this tasty supper. Yup, that’s all!
- While this recipe may look difficult to make, it really is so easy to assemble. Perfect for those rushed evenings when the family is on the go.
- And, it’s also super versatile, and can be cooked in the oven, Instant Pot, or Crock-Pot.
Isn’t it awesome to have another quick recipe to add to the list of warm, comforting, evening meals?
Ingredients for Smothered Pork Chops
Don’t let the fact this recipe has only 4 ingredients fool you. It may be short on the ingredient list, but it’s definitely big on taste!
STUFFING MIX – Any brand will work well, and the flavor doesn’t matter, either. Just mix it up according to the package directions, and go!
PORK CHOPS – 4 large thick-cut pork chops are needed— choose shoulder, rib, or sirloin chops, & make sure they are fully defrosted for this recipe.
CANNED SOUP – Condensed cream of mushroom soup—one 10.75 oz can is all that’s needed. No cream of mushroom soup in the pantry? Just sub with any other creamed soup you have on hand, or make a double batch of creamy potato soup to add to recipes like these.
MILK – Feel free to sub half and half for an extra creamy sauce, or go for a lower fat option if desired.
How to Make Smothered Pork Chops
It’s easy to assemble this meal of southern-style comfort food, baked in the oven!
- Prepare stuffing mix as directed on the box & brown pork chops (per recipe below.)
- Combine cream of mushroom soup and milk. Place chops in a baking dish.
- Cover with stuffing mix and soup mixture.
- Cover, bake, and serve hot!
For the Crock-Pot
Smothered Pork Chops can easily be adjusted into a Crock Pot meal for those hectic nights!
- Prepare stuffing mix as directed on the box, & brown pork chops (follow step 2 in recipe below.)
- Combine soup and milk. Place chops in Crockpot.
- Cover with stuffing mix and soup mixture.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Make sure the pork reaches that desired 175° F temperature.
For the Instant Pot
Instead of preheating the oven, get out that Instant Pot!
- The pork chops can be browned directly in the Instant Pot with the sauté function for 1-2 minutes per side. Be sure to deglaze the pot with a little water or sauce mix, to prevent getting the burn message.
- Once they have a nice brown crust, place pork chops into pot, top with prepared stuffing, then add soup/milk mixture.
- Pressure cook for 1-5 minutes, and naturally release for 5.
- Make sure pork reaches that desired 175° F temperature.
What Goes with Smothered Pork Chops?
This warming smothered pork chop recipe goes great with a side of white or brown rice to soak up all that extra creamy sauce. Try some crispy smashed potatoes for a tasty side dish or make some oven roasted asparagus for a quick vegetable that offers a splash of green.
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to brown the pork chops so they develop a crispy crust on the outside to seal in the juices. To prevent overcrowding, or if the pot is small, brown 1 or 2 chops at a time.
- If you want to add extra flavor, chop some onion to sauté with the chops!
- Make sure to preheat the Instant Pot before searing the meat. Remember to naturally release for for a few minutes for super juicy pork chops.
- Leftovers can be easily stored in an airtight container for a week, and can be heated up for lunch or another evening meal.
Other Easy Pork Recipes To Try!
- Pork Chop & Potato Bake recipe – simple casserole!
- Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops – tangy sauce!
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy – homestyle comfort!
- Honey Garlic Roasted Pork Tenderloin – elegant entrée!
Smothered Pork Chops recipe
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- 1 package stuffing mix 6 oz, plus ingredients as needed
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom (10.75 oz can)
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Prepare stuffing mix as directed on the box.
- While stuffing is resting, heat the oil and brown both sides of the pork chops (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Place the browned chops in a large baking dish. Top with prepared stuffing.
- Mix together the cream of mushroom soup and milk.
- Pour the soup mixture over the stuffing and pork chops.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until pork reaches 145°F. Do not overcook.