Creamy Potato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy Creamy Potato Soup is the ultimate in comfort food!
Cold days and nights call for a thick and hearty mashed potato soup. Smooth, creamy and so, so savory, this is the best potato soup recipe ever! Dunk some cheesy bread into this hearty soup and serve it with an easy tomato salad or greek salad— dinner is served!
Creamy Potato Soup
PIN IT your SOUPS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Mashed Potato Soup
We love this cheesy potato soup because it’s affordable, easy to make, and has so many options for add-ins! Plus it’s perfect for using up leftover mashed potatoes from a holiday dinner! Make it today and have it all week for lunches and easy dinners. Make ahead for get togethers or keep it warm in a Crockpot and let everyone serve themselves. Try it with bowls of mix-ins like bacon bits, fried onions, crumbled sausage, green onions, broccoli, or jalapenos.
Ingredients and Variations
DAIRY – The secret to this recipe is mixing in cream cheese along with the potatoes, cheddar cheese, and milk.
MASHED POTATOES – But the real beauty of this recipe is that it’s a great way to use up those leftover mashed potatoes or even baked potatoes.
VARIATIONS – Feel free to add turkey, chicken, ham, or bacon! You can even add leeks, kale, or broccoli to round out the other ingredients!
How To Make Potato Soup
This easy Creamy Potato Soup recipe has only 3 simple steps!
- Melt cream cheese with onion and garlic powder.
- Whisk in milk and chicken broth until smooth, stir in the mashed potatoes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, then season and serve.
- Potato soup will keep in the refrigerator covered for about 4 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop or even quicker in the microwave.
- Potato soup can be frozen in zippered bags labeled with the date and they’ll keep about 5 months. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner idea.
Other Delicious Soups To Try!
- Quick and Easy Borscht Soup – a classic soup.
- Easy Chicken Rice Soup – so hearty.
- Zuppa Toscana Soup – zesty and delicious.
- Mexican Cheese Soup – cheesy!
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup – so creamy.
This is the best potato soup recipe because it's so easy, cheesy and delicious!
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt cream cheese in a large saucepan over medium heat with the onion and garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of stock.
Slowly incorporate the chicken broth and whisk until it is smooth.
Stir in mashed potatoes and milk and bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe updated for a better consistency and product 1/19/21
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)