This easy shepherd’s pie recipe makes a hearty, delicious and comforting dish perfect for busy nights!
Filled with meat, vegetables, and potatoes, and baked in a savory sauce, this shortcut shepherd’s pie recipe creates a family-style entrée that is so satisfying. And this version, made with tater tots, is super easy!
Skip the mashed potatoes for less work, less clean up, and less oven cooking time.
Easy Twist On A Classic!
- Tater tot shepherd’s pie is quick and convenient with just the right blend of meat to vegetables.
- It’s an old-fashioned casserole made new using frozen tater tots instead of mashed potatoes.
- This easy shepherd’s pie is delicious served with a side of cheesy bread along with a bright and crisp spinach strawberry salad.
Ingredients And Variations
Meat – This peasant-style meat pie is made with ground beef, but ground lamb, cooked chicken or turkey can also be used. For a vegetarian version, eliminate the meat and add any extra veggies of choice.
Vegetables – Diced onions are sauted along with the ground beef, then a medley of vegetables are added. Use a frozen pre-made vegetable mix for simplicity, or create a unique medley using what’s on hand. Try broccoli and cauliflower florets, zucchini, mushrooms and spinach for a delicious variation.
Sauce – The tangy sauce is made with a simple can of condensed tomato soup along with garlic powder, salt and pepper. What could be easier? For a creamy version use condensed cream of mushroom soup instead of tomato.
Topping – A traditional shepherd’s pie would have a mashed potato topping, but this updated version uses frozen tater tots! Then it’s smothered with melty cheddar cheese for an easy comfort food meal! Top it with a dollop of sour cream and freshly chopped parsley for a delightful garnish.
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie
This shortcut shepherd’s pie is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Cook beef and onion, drain the fat.
- Add soup, vegetables, and seasonings. Spread into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese and cover with tater tots.
- Bake until hot & bubbly.
- Once shepherd’s pie is baked, allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Use the mixed frozen vegetable medley in the freezer section of the supermarket, no need to buy separate bags!
- This easy shepherd’s pie is the perfect make-ahead meal! Simply assemble and cover with plastic wrap, then keep refrigerated until ready to bake.
- Freeze assembled shepherd’s pie uncooked, covered in plastic wrap and then wrapped with aluminum foil. Be sure to label it with date and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator, then cook as directed. An additional 5-10 minutes may need to be added to the cook time.
Store any leftovers in a covered container, or with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Reheat leftovers in the oven, covered with foil, or in single servings in the microwave. This makes a delicious and easy hot lunch during the week!
Shortcut Shepherd’s Pie
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook beef and onion over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Stir in condensed soup, mixed vegetables and seasonings. Leave in oven safe skillet, or spread into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle ½ the cheese over meat mixture, top with tater tots and then remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days. R
- Reheat leftovers covered with foil in the oven, or microwave single servings.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.