Cheeseburger casserole is a tasty dinner that’s sure to please!
This easy meal is made with fun rotini pasta and a beefy, cheeseburger-inspired sauce.
Why not offer burger toppings and let everyone build their own ‘cheeseburger’ masterpiece!?
Easy Cheesy Casserole!
- Easy crowd-pleaser! This cheeseburger casserole recipe is the perfect mid-week family favorite or an easy weekend sleepover casserole!
- Batch cooking favorite! Bacon cheeseburger casserole is fast and can be doubled up to enjoy all week long for quick dinners or workday lunches.
- Easy cleanup! Make it in one pot and take it straight to the table or keep it warm in a Crockpot for potlucks and parties!
- Pickles can be added to the recipe or as a garnish. Every cheeseburger needs pickles!
Ingredients and Variations
Beef – Go for an 80/20 blend for that little bit of extra fat that adds juicy flavor to bacon cheeseburger casserole! Feel free to toss in leftover cooked turkey, chicken, or even chopped-up steak pieces!
Pasta – Rotini is great because the tasty sauce clings to the ridges. Other suitable macaroni shapes are small and medium-sized shells, penne, or bow-tie pasta.
Sauce – Switch out the cream of mushroom for the cream of chicken or French onion soup. If soup isn’t available, use 1 ½ cups of heavy cream or make homemade cream of chicken or cream of mushroom for a healthier option. Spicy chili sauce can be used in place of ketchup if desired.
Toppings – Anything that goes on a cheeseburger goes on a cheeseburger casserole! Shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and pickles, chopped or French-fried onions and an extra sprinkle of cheddar cheese are all delish toppings for bacon cheeseburger casserole! Use store-bought bacon bits or make your own with this easy oven baked bacon recipe.
Variations – Make it low-carb and switch out the rotini for zucchini noodles or cauliflower florets!
How to Make Cheeseburger Casserole
- Cook pasta al dente & drain.
- Brown ground beef and onion. Mix in soup, milk, ketchup, mustard, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Stir pasta and ground beef in a casserole dish and top with remaining shredded cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake until bubbly and heated through.
- Top with extra pickles, cheese, and bacon bits, if desired.
Serve bacon cheeseburger casserole with a side of cucumber radish salad or an easy broccoli salad. Don’t forget a side of deliciously crispy Texas toast garlic bread or some fantastic cheesy bread and one of these fun desserts!
Tips and Time Savers
- Always cook the pasta to ‘al dente’ which means the pasta is still a little firm since it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Freshly grated cheese performs better than pre-shredded because it doesn’t have anti-caking agents in it.
- Keep leftover cheeseburger casserole in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days–it tastes even better as the flavors blend!
- This recipe can be frozen, but be aware the pasta won’t be as firm once it’s thawed. Feel free to add fresh pasta or work the leftovers into a hearty hamburger soup.
Have you tried this Bacon Cheeseburger Recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Cheeseburger Pasta Casserole
- 8 ounces rotini pasta or other medium pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 can condensed mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ¼ cup bacon bits or 4 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta al dente, according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, add ground beef and onion to a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
- To the beef, stir in the condensed soup, milk, ketchup, mustard, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well.
- In an ungreased 9×13 inch baking dish stir together the pasta and ground beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the casserole is heated through.
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings.
- This casserole can be made ahead by covering and refrigerating without the cheese on the top. Then, when ready to serve, allow casserole to warm to room temperature, add 1 cup of cheese and bacon, and heat in 350℉ oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Top with your favorite burger toppings: lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, or additional bacon.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.