This easy recipe for pepper gravy Is a tasty multipurpose sauce!
This savory gravy has has all-purpose applications for steak, chicken, pork, or even breakfast sausage with biscuits.
It’s a foolproof, creamy gravy with tons of savory flavor and it’s a cinch to make!
Easy Creamy Gravy!
- This recipe for homemade gravy comes out rich and flavorful every time and is so easy to whip up with ingredients likely already available!
- Super adaptable recipe! Creamy country-style pepper gravy can be used as a gravy, a sauce, or a topping in so many main and side dishes!
- Gravy made from scratch can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept in the refrigerator. Reheat it on medium-low heat while whisking until it’s smooth and heated through.
5 Ingredient Recipe
Dairy – Full fat butter and whole milk are the base for the best-tasting gravy with a smooth, velvety texture.
Flour – Be sure to whisk the flour before measuring it out from the bag or container as it will settle and you’ll scoop out more than you need. A gluten-free blend can also be used if you follow the conversion rates on the packaging.
Seasonings – The flavor of ground or cracked black pepper makes this gravy uber-versatile, but you can add other savory seasonings like a chicken or beef bouillon cube or this DIY ground beef seasonings. A ready-made Italian, Greek, or zesty taco seasoning will also work depending on your main dish.
Variations – Toss in some sauteed mushrooms or some sauteed onions to create a new gravy profile. Even a dash of Kitchen Bouquet will add savory flavor to pepper gravy!
How to Make Pepper Gravy
- Cook butter, flour, and black pepper in a skillet until browned.
- Whisk in milk and simmer until gravy is thickened.
- Serve as desired.
Best Gravy Tips
- Be sure to brown the flour in Step 1 to extract all the flavor from it and eliminate any grainy texture.
- If your gravy gets lumpy, it’s no problem! Simply pour gravy into a blender or food processor and puree.
Serving and Storing Pepper Gravy
- Make instant black pepper gravy whenever you need to top a meatloaf, stuffing waffles, or pork chops without drippings! It’s also excellent stirred into white or brown rice or added to a chicken broccoli rice casserole.
- Make a batch or two and freeze in ice cube trays to pop out and thicken a sauce, soup, or stew anytime. Keep leftover gravy in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop and whisk while adding a little milk or cream to loosen it up.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags or ice cube trays for up to 4 weeks. Thaw overnight or in a saucepan on medium-low heat.
Have you tried this Pepper Gravy Recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Pepper Gravy Recipe
- In a 10-inch skillet melt the butter. Stir in flour and black pepper. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes while whisking.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking after each addition until smooth.
- Stir in the salt and simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Serve warm over chicken or biscuits.
- For additional flavor, add 1 chicken bouillon cube before simmering.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.