The added ingredients of corn, tomatoes and red peppers take this casserole from simple to great and WOW!
It’s a casserole dish you can serve your family at dinnertime or even when you are trying to impress guests. Everyone will rave and ask for the recipe!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Pin it to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I love that this Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe uses ingredients that you most likely always have in the fridge and pantry.
This casserole is so creamy and you taste all of the veggies, along with chicken and rice in every bite. Oh, and did I mention the cheesy topping with a bit of a crunch from the breadcrumbs. #highlyaddictive
Usually, when one thinks of easy meals or comfort food, a slow cooker often comes to mind. A recipe as easily thrown together like the Slow Cooker Wild Rice Soup will be at the top of the list.
Though I love a good slow cooker recipe, like Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas, this casserole recipe truly feels like it was made in a slow cooker as the prep time is so minimal and easy.
Since the casserole has added vegetables including broccoli, red pepper and corn, you feel like you are eating something healthy (just don’t pay attention to the overload of cheese, haha). If you are looking for a really filling and healthy recipe, you’ve got to try our favorite Taco Salad Bowl or Baked Salmon Avocado with Salsa.
Tips to make the best Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole:
- When cooking the rice, don’t cook it all the way. As its baked, it will finish cooking and the rice won’t be overcooked and mushy. So if the package indicates 20 minutes, cook the rice 15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and red pepper raw to the casserole if a firmer texture is desired. However, if you’d like the veggies really tender and soft, add them to the skillet with the chicken/onion and sauté them a few minutes before adding to the casserole dish.
- Crushed crackers, Panko breadcrumbs or crushed corn flakes may be used instead of the regular breadcrumbs.
- If you’re a cheese lover, add more cheese than the indicated amount. We love us a cheesy casserole, so I use 12 ounces of cheese total.
- CHEESE TIP: Purchase a block of cheese instead of pre-shredded cheese. There are additional added ingredients in shredded cheese for freshness. Grating fresh cheese performs much better in recipes. Just check the ingredients on both the next time you’re at the grocery store, you’ll be surprised. ;).
This casserole is great as a leftover. To reheat, just cover the dish with foil and bake until warm. Serve it along side a fresh salad and our favorite Cheesy Bread!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 1 ½ cups rice uncooked
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast or thighs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ cup tomatoes cubed
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ⅓ cup red pepper cubed
- 8 oz cheese grated
- 1 cup corn
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, cook 5 minutes less than the specified time.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Sauté chicken with onion and butter until chicken is fully cooked, stirring as needed. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Add the cooked rice, chicken, soup mixture, broccoli florets, tomatoes, red pepper and 1/3 of the grated cheese to a casserole dish. Mix well to combine. Add remaining cheese over top of casserole. Sprinkle bread crumbs over cheese.
- Cover casserole with foil, bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, bake another 15-20 minutes until ingredients bubble and cheese melts and is golden in color.