Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe is a quick and hearty meal your family will love. Tender meat, creamy potatoes, and the rich thick broth are so delicious!
Using an Instant Pot is my favorite way to make beef stew. I’ve made plenty of stew recipes on the stovetop and the slow cooker, but using the Instant Pot is faster and the food is full of flavor.
Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
Pin it to your INSTANT POT BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
Beef Stew is Comfort Food!
Not only does cooking in the pressure cooker save you time, but the flavor, tenderness, and moisture level far exceeds other cooking methods, especially when it comes to things like soups and stews.
If you’re new to the pressure cooking world, just know that you can make so many recipes from things like this beef stew, to Honey Garlic Chicken, to Beef Stroganoff. My Instant Pot is one of the most used appliances in my kitchen!
This savory meal has everything a good old fashioned comfort meal should have. Like a good bowl of chicken soup, you’ve got everything you need in one piping hot bowl – protein, vegetables, and carbohydrates.
BEEF For this recipe choose a beef stewing meat. This is usually made from chuck roast, which is a less expensive cut of beef. But the instant pot tenderizes the meat and infuses it with the broth it is cooked in, so it will become perfectly tender and juicy.
VEGETABLES This hearty stew is made with carrots, potatoes, and peas. For some extra crunch add in some chopped celery or corn, or any vegetables you have on hand.
This beef stew pleases all kinds of eaters. Like to have a little bit of everything in each bite? You got it. Want to mop up the last bit with a warm piece of jalapeno cornbread? Dive right in.
How to Make Beef Stew in an Instant Pot
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Saute the beef in batches. Then the onion, garlic, and tomato paste.
- Stir in the broth and spice and pressure cook until tender (per recipe below).
- Add in the vegetables and continue pressuring cooking until done.
To thicken the stew add a cornstarch slurry or mash the vegetables using a potato masher.
Tips for Tender Beef Stew
- You can brown the stew meat right in the Instant Pot. This process only takes a few minutes, but browning the meat adds excellent flavor and texture in the finished stew. Most slow cookers don’t have this ability.
- Pressure cooking is quick. A good stew on the stovetop or in a crockpot can take hours. Since I’m usually scrambling to figure out what to make for dinner each night, I like knowing that start to finish, I can have a homemade beef stew on the table in well under an hour.
- Flavor infused meat. Any time you make a recipe that cooks meat in liquid, the pressure cooker should be your go-to appliance. All the flavor gets infused into the meat, and this stew meat will be the most tender you’ve ever enjoyed.
- You can control the doneness of your meat and vegetables. When you’re experimenting, this can take some trial and error. Fortunately, with this Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe, I’ve already figured the perfect cooking time for both the meat and the vegetables!
You simply must give this Instant Pot Beef Stew recipe a try! The meat is so tender, the vegetables are cooked perfectly and the flavor is absolutely wonderful! If your friends and family were not stew fans before, they definitely will be now!
Yummy Comfort Food
Stove Top Meatloaf – super simple family meal!
Chicken Mac ‘n Cheese – with bacon!
Crockpot Pulled Pork – a crowd pleaser
Chicken Pot Pie – hearty & heart-warming
Slow Cooker Chili – great for busy weeknights!
This Instant Pot Beef Stew is a super quick recipe with tender beef and perfectly cooked vegetables!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound carrots peeled and sliced into 1 inch thick pieces
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode then add the oil.
When the oil is hot, add half the meat in a single layer and allow it to brown, turning only once, for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and brown remaining stew meat. Transfer to the same bowl.
Add the onions and allow to brown on Saute mode for about 5 minutes, stirring only occasionally. Add minced garlic and tomato paste, stir, and allow to cook for an additional minute.
Add browned meat and any juices from bowl along with Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme and beef broth. Cover and lock lid. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes.
Quick release pressure, then add the potatoes, carrots and peas. Lock lid, and cook on high pressure for another 10 minutes.
When the stew is done, quick release the pressure.
Add a couple of tablespoons of hot broth to a cup and mix with corn starch to make a slurry. Once all the corn starch has dissolved, stir the slurry into the stew. The broth should thicken a bit. For extra thick stew, use a potato masher to mash up some of the vegetables.
Add additional salt and some pepper, to taste. Serve with a nice green salad and some hot crusty bread.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)