This Mac and Cheese with Sour Cream recipe will turn that quintessential American dish into a family favorite.
This cheesy, creamy, and delicious casserole is full of shredded cheese and… sour cream, surprise! With the perfect amount of sour cream, this mac and cheese casserole has the ultimate blend of flavors, making it scrumptious without being overly rich!
Mac and Cheese with Sour Cream
PIN IT to your MAIN DISHES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Best Baked Mac and Cheese
- This is the best homemade baked sour cream mac and cheese recipe you’ll ever use!
- Making mac and cheese from scratch is super simple and easy.
- The only ingredients for this creamy sauce are sour cream, milk, butter cheese, and little flour. Sour cream is the secret ingredient. It will give this dish an extra zing of flavor.
- This casserole would go great with an easy broccoli salad, oven-roasted asparagus, or some roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar.
Ingredients and Variations
NOODLES Macaroni noodles are the usual addition to mac and cheese, however, smaller noodles, like penne, or rigatoni are also great options.
SAUCE Macaroni is so simple to make, and it really begins with the sauce. First, a simple roux is made. This is so easy just a little melted butter in a saucepan, add some flour, milk, and cheese. And then the secret weapon is added, sour cream!
VARIATIONS Add some chopped tomatoes to the final dish or top with some panko breadcrumbs or crumbled bacon.
How to Make Mac and Cheese with Sour Cream
This oven-baked mac and cheese is so easy to make with just a few ingredients from your pantry and fridge. Just combine and bake!
- Cook the macaroni. Drain & cool.
- Make a roux on the stovetop and whisk in milk (as per the recipe below).
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and sour cream.
- Pour into a casserole dish, top with cheese, and bake!
This simple casserole is a great way to satisfy your hungry family!
Tips for Creamy Cheesy Pasta
- Make sure the pasta has cooled before adding the sauce.
- Keep the casserole dish in the middle of the oven and remove it once the cheese on the top is bubbly and just a little browned.
- For leftovers keep the mac and cheese in a sealed container in the fridge until it’s ready to be reheated. Simply stir, add a little milk, and reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Adjust the salt and pepper and serve!
Must-Try Macaroni Recipes
- Beer Cheese Macaroni – Ready in under 30 mins!
- Chicken Mac & Cheese with Bacon – Delicious comfort food
- Creamy Macaroni & Cheese Casserole – Made with ham and Monterey jack!
- Cheesy Taco Pasta – Perfect to feed a crowd
- Hot Dog Mac & Cheese Casserole – Favorite among kids & adults!
Baked Mac and Cheese with Sour Cream
- In large pot melt the stick of butter. Add flour and stir to create a roux. Stir over medium heat for one minute to let flour and butter settle together.
- Slowly add about 1 cup of milk at a time. Stir in milk and turn up heat to med-high, just until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 cups of shredded cheese. Once cheese is incorporated, now it's time for your secret weapon!!
- Remove from heat and add the sour cream. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir in cooked macaroni.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and top with remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350˚F for about 15 minutes or until cheese has melted on top.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Mac and Cheese with Sour Cream recipe!