Make this delicious and hearty One Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta dish with a garlicky parmesan cheese sauce!
This savory, one pot pasta main dish is so easy to make, and it’s always a favorite. Creamy pasta is perfect as a meatless option, but the add-ins are endless. This delicious recipe can accommodate anything, from broccoli and chicken to shrimp and peas. The options are practically endless.
Easy One Pot Pasta!
- This tasty creamy tomato pasta dish is just the thing to feed a hungry crowd and it holds up perfectly on a buffet table, too.
- Who doesn’t love a creamy cheesy pasta dish steeped in a savory tomato sauce? It’s a favorite with the kids, and hearty enough to satisfy those big appetites!
- It’s easy to customize and delish with add-ins. Make it a main dish and add Italian sausage, chicken, or bacon!
Ingredients And Variations
PASTA: Penne is a tubular-shaped pasta with ridges so the sauce can cling to it. Other great shapes to try are farfalle (bowtie), rigatoni, shells, and even cheese, meat, or veggie-filled ravioli!
SAUCE: Start this creamy sauce with a can of tomatoes, its juices, seasonings and water, or chicken broth. Broth will provide more flavor than water, and low sodium can be used if desired. Heavy cream is added at the end for a thick and rich sauce.
PRO TIP: Brighten up the flavor of canned tomatoes with a squeeze of lemon!
SEASONINGS: Fresh is best when it comes to garlic! Italian seasoning is a blend that always takes the flavor up a notch, as well.
ADD-INS: Keep within the veggie theme and add spinach, sliced mushrooms, or even a bag of frozen vegetable medley. Or try adding some ground beef or chicken for a hearty main dish.
How to Make Creamy Tomato Pasta
Tomato pasta is as easy as 1, 2, 3 to make!
- Saute garlic until fragrant. Add penne, water (or broth), seasonings, and tomato, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed and stir in cream until thickened.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir before serving. Add a sprig of basil leaves as a garnish.
Serving Suggestions for Creamy Pasta
This one-pot pasta makes the perfect side dish beside a protein main like these homemade meatballs or chicken nuggets. Or serve it as a delicious vegetarian entrée, along with some homemade cheesy bread, and a fresh strawberry spinach salad.
Keep leftover creamy tomato pasta covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop with a little extra cream to loosen up the sauce. Don’t forget to make a whole new meal by adding leftover meat or vegetables! Freeze leftover portions in zippered bags for up to 6 weeks. If freezing this dish, the pasta won’t be as firm once it’s thawed, but add a bit of fresh pasta and no one will know it’s leftovers!
Other Tasty Entrees To Try!
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta – 15-minute prep
- Veggie Feta Pasta Recipe – easy pasta recipe
- Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Shells – fun and delicious
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta – incredible flavor
- Easy Teriyaki Noodles – with an Asian inspired flair!
One Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta
- 12 ounces Penne Pasta
- 14 ounces Italian diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 cups water or chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large skillet cook garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add penne, water, seasonings, and tomatoes to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling turn it down to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed and pasta is al dente.
- Stir in heavy cream and simmer for 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat stir in parmesan cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers covered for up to 4 days.
- Add a bit of cream to leftovers and reheat on the stovetop
- Choose left over meat or vegetables to add in the recipe for extra flavor!
- Freeze cooled portions in zippered bags for up to 6 weeks.
- Note: Frozen pasta, when thawed, will not be as firm as it once was. Add a bit of freshly cooked pasta if desired.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this One Pot Creamy Tomato Pasta recipe!
Sounds good. What is heavy cream and what can be used in place of. Thanks
Heavy cream is also known as whipping cream a easy substitute would be half & half cream although the sauce will turn out a little thinner!
It’s so good Ronny!
Delish!!!! Easy and super yummy!
We couldn’t agree more Tricia!
Made this tonight and added spicy ground sausage…when you do add meat, need a bit more cream. It was wonderful!!!!
This sounds so good. Gonna try it soon. Thanks for sharing it.
Usually, I love a good Cab Sav – so I love that Dreaming Tree has that variety, although I think the Crush is a must-try. I love the idea of pairing it with a creamy pasta! [client]