Winner, winner Mac And Cheese Hot Dog Casserole dinner!
Take two kid favorites like mac and cheese and hot dogs, then mix them into a super creamy, cheesy casserole and you’ve got a recipe winner! Everyone runs to the table when this hot dog casserole comes hot and fresh out of the oven. Why not make it for dinner tonight?
Mac and Cheese Hot Dog Casserole
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs
- Kraft can’t compare to this cheesy casserole. Make ahead and bake right before the party or the big game. Even little bakers can help make this easy recipe.
- Mac and cheese hot dog casserole is a crowd-pleaser for adults and kids alike. It’s deliciously filling and ready to serve for the big game, a potluck, or a sleepover!
Ingredients and Variations
Mac and cheese was made for all kinds of switches and add-ins!
PASTA: Elbow macaroni comes in all sizes, choose one that is kid-friendly and easy to eat. Penne, bow tie, and small shells are all great pastas to use.
CHEESE SAUCE: Full-fat dairy and cheese make this dish so delish. Real butter and whole milk provide that rich, velvety texture, and super-melty Velveeta cheese is where the flavor is. Shredded sharp cheddar can be used in place of Velveeta, just stir a little bit longer. A jar of Alfredo sauce can be added instead of Velveeta for a white mac and cheese hot dog casserole, too.
MEAT: Who doesn’t love hot dogs? Add more or less as desired. Sliced Polska kielbasa, cooked Italian sausage, or frozen precooked beef meatballs are all good substitutes for hot dogs.
ADD-INS: This is the fun part! Give mac and cheese hot dog casserole a healthy veggie boost by adding peas, carrots, green beans, or any frozen vegetable medley.
TOPPING: No corn flakes? No problem! Bread crumbs, crushed Ritz crackers, or saltines are just as good!
Let’s Make Mac and Cheese Hot Dog Casserole!
- Boil macaroni and hot dogs in a large pot of water. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion in butter, stir in flour, salt, and mustard. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until thickened.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and cubes of Velveeta. Once cheese has melted, combine all ingredients in a casserole dish.
- Cover with cornflake topping. Bake as per recipe below.
Serve mac and cheese hot dog casserole with some fluffy Dinner Rolls and a simple Spinach and Strawberry Salad. Or try making some Easy Parmesan Zucchini, and a fun kid-friendly Strawberry Fluff for dessert. Or make some yummy hand-held No Bake Mini Cheesecake Cups.
Keep leftover mac and cheese hot dog casserole covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat portions on the stovetop, or covered in the oven, with a little milk stirred in.
Freeze portions in quart-sized bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks. NOTE: Pasta will be soft after it’s been frozen and thawed, adding freshly cooked pasta will refresh it!
More Casserole Dishes
- Biscuit Turkey Casserole – great for leftover turkey.
- Easy Italian Casserole – homemade and easy.
- Ham and Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Casserole – so quick.
- Taco Casserole – dazzle the tastebuds.
Mac And Cheese Hot Dog Casserole
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 6 hot dogs sliced ½" thick
- 1 small onion diced
- ¼ cup butter cubed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces Velveeta cubed
- ¼ cup crushed cornflakes or bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add macaroni and uncooked hot dogs. Boil until the macaroni is tender but firm (al dente). Drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in melted butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and ground mustard. Gradually add the milk while stirring.
- Bring to a boil, stir and cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and Velveeta, stirring until cheese has melted.
- Combine the hotdogs, macaroni and cheese sauce in a 2 ½ quart baking dish.
- Combine cornflake crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake 20-25 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Mac and Cheese Hot Dog Casserole recipe
Recipe adapted from the Taste of Home Ultimate Casserole Cookbook.
i did not make this yet, just found this recipe tonight, i gave it 5 stars because it looks so good!!! i’m going to try it and go by this recipe! i know it will be yummy!! ill let you know how it came out after i make it!! thank you for sharing this recipe,, putting hot dogs in the mac and cheese sounds awesome!!
You’re welcome Barbara! Can’t go wrong with this one, I promise!
I made this tonight and it was super yummy. I used cocktail wieners instead of hot dogs. I did not have dried mustard so I added a squirt or two of dijon mustard to the milk. I whisked it in and it was super yummy. Will be making again soon . 5 stars
So glad you loved it Michelle!