These Hot Dog Mac ‘n Cheese Casserole recipe was adapted from the Taste of Home Ultimate Casserole Cookbook. It was a hit with all the adults as well the kids! It’s like a grown up version of what your parents used to throw together for you when you were a kid 😉 I really loved this, and I would love to hear how you like it too!! Especially if you make any variations of this, I would love to know!! I munched on this all night when no one was looking. I didn’t want them to know that I liked it that much. I mean, I’m too grown up for mac ‘n cheese with hot dogs 😉
Hot Dog Mac ‘n Cheese Casserole recipe
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 12 oz Velveeta cubed
- 7 hot dogs cooked and sliced
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs I used crushed corn flakes because that's all I had
- Cook the macaroni, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and then saute onion until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and ground mustard.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring the entire time to prevent burning.
- Bring to a boil, stir and cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and Velveeta and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add cheese sauce to the pot where drained macaroni is.
- Stir until mixed then add hot dogs.
- Pour into a 2-3 quart, greased, baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.