This easy homemade beefaroni recipe is the perfect way to feed a hungry crowd!
Wholesome and hearty beefaroni with its creamy, cheesy tomato sauce goes from the stovetop to the tabletop in minutes!
Dinner can be ready in minutes, and it doesn’t have to come from a box to be super quick and easy to make!
One Pot Wonder!
- Homemade beefaroni is an easy recipe to master and it’s perfect for busy weeknights.
- This recipe is easily doubled for large groups or frozen for future meals!
- One pot means less mess and fewer dishes to wash!
- Budget-friendly beefaroni is so versatile! It’s perfect for tossing in leftover meat and veggies from the fridge!
- Cook ahead and keep it warm in a casserole dish in the oven until ready to serve.
What Ingredients Are Needed for Homemade Beefaroni?
Meat – Ground beef provides the savory base for beefaroni, but consider mixing in some ground Italian sausage for more flavor, or omit the meat and use tofu for a vegetarian dish!
Pasta – Elbows, shells, ziti, penne, and even bowties all work in this recipe! Go low-carb and use finely chopped roasted cauliflower in place of pasta.
Sauce – Heavy cream cooked down with tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and seasonings creates a creamy sauce, but if time is short, omit the cream and add a cup or two of jarred marinara.
Variations – For a pop of healthy nutrition, sneak in healthy veggies like peas, corn, carrots, or even diced kale! Stretch the budget a little further and toss in a (drained) can of kidney beans or black beans. Cheddar cheese can be switched out for mozzarella or even parmesan.
How to Make Homemade Beefaroni
- Cook beef until no pink remains. Chop ground beef until very fine as it cooks for best results.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and cook until macaroni is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Season and serve immediately.
Top with homemade breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven for a casserole, if desired.
Time Saving Tips!
- Skip the seasoning and use a pre-seasoned can of crushed tomatoes (we like Rotel).
- Pick up fresh pasta and save valuable cooking minutes.
- Make up to a day in advance and keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to reheat and eat!
- Double up the recipe because beefaroni freezes perfectly!
How to Serve and Store Beefaroni
Beefaroni is a one-meal deal so all you need is some microwave corn, a crunchy cucumber radish salad or a fun strawberry spinach salad. Add a basketful of homemade dinner rolls to soak up all that cheesy sauce!
Leftover beefaroni is best eaten within 4 days kept covered in the refrigerator. Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 1 month and thaw in the refrigerator before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Have you tried this Homemade Beefaroni Recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Homemade Beefaroni Recipe
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the ground beef until there is no pink remaining.
- Add crushed tomatoes, beef broth, heavy cream, sugar, onion powder, and garlic powder to the beef. Stir in the elbow macaroni and cover the skillet.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is tender about 14-16 minutes. Add more broth if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Once macaroni is tender, remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Cover again and rest for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Scramble fry ground beef to a very fine texture.
- Cook pasta till al dente and add additional broth or water as needed.
- For an extra layer of flavor add a pinch of oregano, basil, or Italian seasoning to the sauce while it simmers.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.