Homemade Chicken Nuggets taste so much better than store-bought. With a baked and fried option, this will become your favorite go-to chicken nuggets recipe!
Ground chicken combined with flavored breading results in juicy tenders that are ready in under 3o minutes. These tasty morsels are perfect served for dinner or on an appetizer platter with Fried Tortellini, Bacon Cream Cheese Biscuits and Pizza Mac and Cheese Bites!
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
Chicken nuggets are a popular selection at restaurants for both kids and adults alike. There is just something so comforting and appealing about them! And now you can enjoy this tasty treat at home with this easy chicken nugget recipe.
While store-bought nuggets are convenient to keep on hand, once you start making this homemade version, there won’t be any need to buy store bought again.
How To Make Chicken Nuggets?
There are two great cooking options for homemade chicken nuggets; baked or fried (Note: In the images, the lighter colored nuggets are baked and the darker are the fried.)
BAKED: Baked nuggets are healthier than the fried option. Tip: Broil nuggets at the end of the cooking time to give the nuggets a crispy finish.
- Combine crumbs, parmesan and paprika.
- Mix together ground chicken, seasonings, mayo and water. Form into nuggets.
- Coat nuggets with crumb mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes.
FRIED: Though not as healthy as the baking option, fried nuggets are crispier.
- Prepare nuggets the same way as you would if they were baked.
- After baking for 12 minutes, remove from oven.
- Pan fry in hot oil for about 1 minute per side.
Tips for Success
- Grind your own meat! Fresh meat adds much more flavor. I prefer to use chicken thighs because they are juicer when baked. Chicken breast may also be used if that is what you have available.
- Be prepared! Assemble all ingredients, pans and tools before you begin. Combine the bread crumb mixture and set aside the parchment lined pan. It will save a ton of time to have everything lined up and ready to go.
- To serve! Enjoy chicken tenders with ketchup, homemade honey mustard sauce, or barbecue sauce. Or get creative and serve it with ranch dressing or dill veggie dip!
Can You Freeze Chicken Nuggets?
Yes, these nuggets freeze very well. Place the uncooked breaded nuggets on a lined cookie sheet (or cutting board) with parchment paper in the freezer for 1 hour. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag and label with the date. Chicken nuggets will keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
To bake frozen chicken nuggets, first partially thaw nuggets by laying them out on a baking sheet and then add 3-5 minutes to the usual cooking time.
Kids and adults alike are going to love this recipe for Homemade Chicken Nuggets. And as a parent, you will feel good knowing they are made with quality ingredients.
Other Delicious Recipes To Try!
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Tenders – spicy dinner idea.
- Ukrainian Kotleti – pork and chicken nuggets!
- Chicken Avocado Egg Rolls – a fun appetizer or snack.
- Baked Tender Chicken Thighs – so easy and tender.
- Lime Grilled Chicken Kabobs – perfect for summer cooking.
Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- In a bowl, combine the meat, garlic powder, pepper, salt, mayo and water.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs, panko crumbs, parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Form the chicken mixture into nugget shapes. Generously coat the nuggets in the bowl with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the nuggets on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated to 375°F oven 12-15 minutes. Flip the nuggets halfway through cooking time.
- If frying, remove at 12 minutes and fry nuggets 30-60 seconds per side. Be sure oil is hot when adding the nuggets to a pan.