Oven-roasted sweet potatoes are so easy to make with a light and simple seasoning that brings out amazing flavor!
All that is needed to make this recipe are some sweet potatoes, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oil. Tossed together and roasted in the oven at the perfect temperature, these sweet potato morsels turn into a sweet and caramelized side dish that tastes amazing along with any beef, chicken, or pork recipe.
Best Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe
- This roasted sweet potato recipe is a welcome departure from plain potatoes and they are loaded with antioxidants and fiber.
- Oven roasting caramelizes the seasonings on the outside of the sweet potato while keeping the inside nice and tender!
- Double up the batch and use all week long in recipes both hot and cold!
Ingredients and Variations
SWEET POTATOES: Choose heavy sweet potatoes free of blemishes or cuts, or use regular potatoes in their place! Types of squash that could also be used in this recipe are butternut, acorn, or delicata.
SEASONINGS: Olive oil and a dash of garlic powder are all it takes to bring out the flavor of sweet potatoes. Leftover bacon grease can be used in place of the oil for a salty and savory flavor. Or toss sweet potato cubes in Italian seasoning, ranch, or taco seasoning for a new recipe every time!
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
- Toss sweet potato cubes with olive oil and season (per recipe below).
- Bake until fork tender and browned.
PRO TIP: For roasted sweet potato wedges or fries, cut them into the appropriate shapes and follow the recipe as directed. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
What To Serve with Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes?
Make a hearty vegetarian entrée by adding carrots, brussels sprouts, and yellow onions to the recipe and serve with rice. Or add to an entrée of oven baked rosemary chicken, beef rouladen, honey garlic roasted pork tenderloin. Add to a salmon frittata for a hearty and delicious brunch.
- Peeling sweet potatoes is totally optional! Some like the rustic look when left unpeeled and it doesn’t change the flavor at all.
- Prep cubes ahead (no need to soak like regular potatoes) and keep them in a zippered bag until ready to season and roast.
- Keep leftover roasted sweet potatoes in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Use leftovers cold in salads or smoothies, or add them to a veggie stir fry or a soup.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes!
- Brown Butter Sweet Potato Noodles – 30 minute side!
- Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles – a tasty alternative to pasta
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes – so easy
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries – crispy and delish
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Toss cubed sweet potatoes with oil and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir potatoes after 20 minutes and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until they are fork tender and browned.
- Instead of using a bowl to mix the sweet potatoes with oil and seasonings, simply mix it all on the baking sheet!
- It's optional to peel sweet potatoes. They will have a more rustic look when left unpeeled with no change to flavor.
- Sweet potatoes, unlike regular potatoes, will not brown once cut. So feel free to prep them ahead of time and store them in a zippered bag until ready to use.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container until ready to use. Delish served cold in salads, or add them to a veggie stir fry or a soup.
- Reheat on the stove, in the microwave, or covered with foil in the oven.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe!