Make these smooth, sweet, and creamy Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes for a delicious side dish at dinner tonight.
These potatoes are cooked quickly and easily in the Instant Pot. Milk, butter, and a dash of cinnamon are all it takes to make these potatoes extra creamy and so full of flavor. Add a splash of apple juice for a hint of tanginess that is so delicious.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
PIN IT to your SIDE DISHES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes Instant Pot Recipe
- Loaded with Vitamin A, sweet potatoes are the healthy cousin of the potato. The best thing about these spuds is that they are sweet and filling. Their vibrant color turns them into a showy and colorful side dish on the dinner plate.
- Mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, take less time than the conventional stove top method, saving time for other dishes and other things.
- These potatoes are a great topping for the filling in this Shortcut Shepherd Pie, or use them in either this Fried Mashed Potato Balls recipe or Loaded Mashed Potato Cups recipe.
4 Ingredient Recipe
SWEET POTATOES – Sweet potatoes are large orange-colored potatoes that are usually found all year round at the supermarket. Purchase potatoes that are firm (not squishy), with smooth flesh.
MILK – Milk makes these mashed potatoes so smooth and creamy. Replace milk with some cream for even richer mashed potatoes.
BUTTER – Butter adds a dimension of smoothness to the sweet potatoes, which helps make this an irresistible side dish.
CINNAMON – Spice it up with a splash of cinnamon.
Add a little apple juice to these creamy mashed potatoes will give them a tangy twist. Spice up the seasonings and add a dash of pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg. Add some bacon bits and sour cream or cream cheese for a loaded mashed sweet potatoes version. A touch of brown sugar is also a delicious addition and makes these a definite hit!
How To Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
A perfectly sweet side dish made easily in the Instant Pot.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Cook in the instant pot (as per the recipe below).
- Add butter, cinnamon, and milk.
Tips For Success!
Cook up the sweet potatoes ahead of time, but wait before adding the milk and butter. Just before serving heat the potatoes up in the Instant Pot and then add the remaining ingredients.
Remember to cube the potato into similar-sized pieces before cooking to ensure that the potatoes are cooked evenly.
Can You Freeze Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Mash potatoes are good for freezing. After cooking, let the potatoes cool down, then place them in freezer bags (labeled). They will keep frozen this way for up to 6 months.
Before using, remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat in the instant pot for about 2 minutes, or warm on the stove over low heat. Alternately, turn thawed mashed sweet potatoes into a casserole dish. Cover with foil and heat at 350˚F for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Other Easy Sweet Potato Dishes!
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Wash, peel, and cut sweet potatoes into 2-inch pieces, then add to the instant pot with water.
- Close lid to seal and select MANUAL. Choose HIGH PRESSURE for 9 minutes.
- Once cooked, quick release the pressure and let potatoes cool slightly.
- Add butter and cinnamon (optional), then mash. Stir in warmed milk until creamy.
Recipe inspired by SpendWithPennies