These tasty Brown Butter Sweet Potato Noodles are elegant, sweet and savory all at the same time!
These unique and delish noodles with brown butter sauce are a healthy, lower calorie option, that is different from regular pasta! This recipe makes them into elegant spiral noodles sautéed in a sage brown butter sauce with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to make the perfect side dish or a hearty vegetarian entrée.
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Noodles
PIN IT to your SIDE DISHES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Delish Sweet Potato Recipe
- Sweet potatoes have all the nutrition, antioxidants, and fiber of a superfood and a mild flavor that works in both cold and hot applications.
- Similar to Korean sweet potato glass noodles (AKA japchae), which are a staple in Korean cuisine, this recipe makes them quickly and easily in one pan.
- Brown butter (AKA beurre noisette) is transformed when it’s slowly melted and cooked, adding its deep, nutty flavor to foods. Once the technique is mastered, it can be made to level up everything from meat to veggies!
Ingredients and Variations
SWEET POTATOES: Peel the sweet potatoes so that they are easier to spiralize. Choose heavy and full sweet potatoes that are free of blemishes or cuts. Zucchini is another alternative to sweet potatoes, but both can be used together.
BUTTER: Real butter is necessary to achieve the proper flavor and consistency for brown butter sweet potato noodles.
HERBS: Sage is earthy and fragrant and just a little peppery in flavor. Other suitable herbs for this recipe are oregano, thyme, or rosemary.
PRO TIP: A quick primer on fresh to dried herbs ratio is 1 Tablespoon of fresh herbs to 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
How to Make Sweet Potato Noodles
This gourmet level side dish is fun to make:
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes into noodles and set them aside.
- Heat olive oil and sage over medium heat. Gently cook noodles until they are al dente, (as per the recipe below).
- Remove them from heat and drizzle with browned butter, season, and top with parmesan cheese.
How To Make Brown Butter Sauce
- Melt butter in a skillet and stir until it starts to brown over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat.
Serve sweet potato noodles as a side dish along with chicken entrees like this melt in your mouth chicken, or these baked lemon butter chicken thighs. Or serve it in pork dishes like these easy pork bites. Add sweet potato noodles to chicken kale soup, or use them to replace regular spaghetti in spaghetti salad, taco spaghetti, or easy chicken spaghetti.
- Store leftover noodles in a covered container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat them in a hot skillet with some butter.
- Freeze leftovers in zippered bags for up to 8 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes To Try!
- Sweet Potato Fries – simple to make, but full of flavor.
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes – perfect for the holidays.
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries – quick and easy.
- Creamy Sweet Potato Noodles – 30 minute recipe.
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Noodles
- Spiralize noodles on a spiralizer with the medium blade (according to your spiralizer directions).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Continue to stir until butter turns a light golden brown with a slight nutty smell. Remove from heat.
- Heat olive oil and sage in a pan over medium heat. Add sweet potato noodles and cook for 9-11 minutes. Toss gently while they cook, they should be a bit al dente.
- Remove from heat, drizzle with browned butter, season with salt & pepper and toss with parmesan cheese.
- Brown butter sauce can be strained through a cheesecloth if desired. (Step 2)
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat sweet potato noodles on the stovetop.
- Sweet potato noodles can be frozen in containers or zippered bags for up to 8 weeks.
- Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
REPIN this Brown Butter Sweet Potato Noodles Recipe!