Try a Grilled Pizza Sandwich for something new!
Pizza sandwiches are a quick and easy way to make a personal-pan pizza in minutes. Game night, movie night, or on the go, this recipe is a keeper. Try it with a ranch dipping sauce, or serve it with soup or salad for a hearty lunch. This recipe is so easy to customize, too. Take your favorite pizza toppings and turn it into a sandwich!
Best Pizza Sandwich Recipe!
- What’s a party without pizza? This recipe is great for BYO parties! Serve bowls of pizza toppings and let guests create their own pizza masterpiece!
- Make grilled pizza sandwiches for a fun lunch or fast dinner! Cut in half diagonally or in strips (thirds) for perfect dipping!
- Add grilled pizza sandwiches to a lunchbox, backpack, or briefcase for a pizza-style lunch without ordering takeout! Just as good served hot or cold!
What’s in a Pizza Sandwich?
BREAD: Sliced Italian sub bread hold up well and tastes delicious but you can use any sandwich-style bun or bread that you prefer! Use thick slices of French bread, or save carbs and calories by using low-carb tortillas.
CHEESE: While the recipe calls for shredded mozzarella you can use any type of cheese you want! Shredded cheddar cheese would be a great option or try something with a little spice and swap it out for Monterrey Jack or a Jalapeno Havarti!
TOPPINGS: Of course, we top it with a ready-to-use marinara then layer on the sliced pepperoni for a classic pizza taste. Or use what you’ve got!
Any kind of pizza sandwich can have leftover meats and veggies added to it! Chicken, ham, mushrooms, olives onions, leftover cheese, chopped spinach, and even diced pineapple.
How To Make a Grilled Pizza Sandwich?
This recipe takes all your favorite parts of a pizza and turns them into a perfectly portable sandwich!
- Toast buttered bread and top with pizza toppings (as per the recipe below).
- Place another piece of bread on top with the outside buttered.
- Cook on both sides until the bread is crispy and browned and the cheese is melted.
PRO TIP: Press down on the sandwich with a spatula for a more ‘panini’ style sandwich.
Tips For Success
- If the cheese isn’t fully melted, add a teaspoon of water to the skillet and cover so the cheese melts without burning the bread.
- Remove the lid so the bread gets extra-crispy. Or, place multiple pizza grilled sandwiches under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Prep pizza sandwiches ahead and keep them chilled until ready to grill!
Dip Recipes to Serve with Pizza
- Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip – creamy and cheesy.
- Cheesy Pizza Dip – serve it bubbling and hot.
- Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Dip – ready in 5 minutes!
- Bacon Beef Queso Dip – rich and hearty.
Grilled Pizza Sandwich
- 4 slices Italian style bread
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced
- 12 slices pepperoni divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup pizza sauce for dipping
- Heat a small pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Butter slice of bread on one side and place butter side down in the pan. Top with mozzarella, pepperoni and garlic salt.
- Place the second piece of bread on top and butter top. Cook both sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with a side of pizza sauce for dipping.
- For a 'panini’ style sandwich, press down on the sandwich with a spatula.
- Add a teaspoon of water to the skillet and cover it with a lid. The steam is so hot, that it will melt the cheese without burning the bread. Then remove the lid so the bread has a chance to get crisp.
- Alternately place multiple sandwiches under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Prep pizza sandwiches ahead and keep them chilled until ready to grill
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Grilled Pizza Sandwiches recipe!