Almost every vegetable found in a garden is also found in this warm and comforting Vegetable Soup with Cabbage.
The list of healthy vegetables in this vegetable soup recipe is so long! What a great way to increase the vegetable intake in your diet. And making homemade vegetable soup is the perfect way to use up any vegetables left sitting in the refrigerator! It’s a delicious and comforting soup that will warm you to the core!
Vegetable Soup with Cabbage
PIN IT to your SOUPS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Vegetable Soup Recipe With Cabbage
- This vegetable soup recipe with cabbage is the best way to clean out the refrigerator of vegetables that might be close to expiring.
- It is low in calories so it’s great for anyone on a low calorie diet.
- This homemade soup is super quick! Just prep the vegetables, cook for 20 minutes and it’s ready!
- Homemade vegetable soup would be delicious with Easy Dinner Rolls, The BEST Cheesy Bread EVER recipe, Easy Drop Biscuits or Pizza Dough Breadsticks.
Vegetable Soup Ingredients
THE VEGETABLES All the basics are in here (except for maybe a potato). Cabbage, zucchini, celery, carrot, and cauliflower are all sautéed and then simmered in a tasty broth.
BROTH This recipe calls for a low sodium beef broth, either homemade or the canned/boxed variety. Tomato paste and diced tomatoes add to the broth and give this soup a tangy and sweet flavor.
Missing a few vegetables on the list? Don’t worry it is so easy to substitute in this recipe. Try adding a potato cut into small pieces, since it takes a little longer to cook. No cauliflower? Add some broccoli or mushrooms. And vegetable broth would make a delicious substitute for the beef broth.
How To Make Vegetable Soup
A little chopping, some sautéing and this soup will be ready quickly in no time!
- Wash and chop all vegetables. Set aside.
- Sauté vegetables in the order given (as per the recipe below).
- Add broth, tomato paste and tomatoes. Simmer.
How Long Does Vegetables Soup Last?
Keep this soup refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freeze any leftover vegetable soup for a quick and delicious lunch or dinner at a later date! But before freezing, make sure it has cooled completely. Once cool, pour into an airtight container, label with the date and freeze. Another option is to freeze it in a ziplock bag (make sure it is well sealed), and lay it flat in the freezer. Once frozen, these bags can be placed upright for easy access. Keep vegetable soup in the freezer for about for 4-6 months.
Best Soup Making Tips and Tricks
To thicken, remove 2 cups of the soup, blend it, and then add it back to the pot. Not only does this thicken the soup nicely, it will also make it more flavorful! Add some extra spices according to personal preference. Dill, thyme, rosemary, and parsley are all nice options.
Other Easy Soup Recipes!
- Quick and Easy Borscht Soup – loaded with goodness!
- Creamy Potato Soup – a hearty soup.
- Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Asiago – so cheesy!
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup – delicious harvest soup.
- Minestrone Soup Recipe – so many veggies in a bowl.
Vegetable Soup With Cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot sliced & diced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower about 4 cups
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juices
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 small zucchini sliced
- pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and cook onion and garlic until tender.
- Add carrot, celery, and cabbage. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except zucchini.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add in zucchini and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Optional, remove 2 cups of broth/vegetables and blend. Add back to the soup to thicken.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.