Easy Chicken Rice Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Rice Soup is easy to whip up on days when it’s cold and chilly! Who doesn’t love a homemade soup that is quick and hearty, perfect for dinner or lunch at your desk the next day? Even the kids will love a warm soup from a Thermos on their lunch break.
Soups that are hearty and filling are the best anytime! Minestrone Soup is basically an entire meal in a bowl, Squash Soup is just perfect for fall entertaining, and if you’re craving something creamy, try this zesty Zuppa Toscana Soup. But if you are looking for a classic soup that everyone will love, this Chicken Rice Soup recipe is a win-win on every level!
Easy Chicken Rice Soup
Pin it your SOUPS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What Rice To Use For Chicken And Rice Soup
Any kind of rice will do for chicken and rice soup, but the best kind to use will be firm, like long-grain brown rice. White rice will do but will get and stay soft. It all depends on your preference.
Most kids prefer white rice, but long grain or brown rice will stay firm and look better in the soup.
How To Make Chicken And Rice Soup
This homemade soup recipe is quick and easy to prepare. With just 2 simple steps it is ready in under 30 mins!
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, and poultry seasoning in oil in a saute pan (here’s where you can add optional mushrooms). Cook until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until heated through about 8 to 10 minutes.
What To Serve With Chicken Rice Soup
This homemade soup pairs perfectly with so many amazing sides! Some croutons or breadsticks for dipping and you are good to go! Why not add a crisp, green salad with some diced tomatoes topped with a tangy vinaigrette?
Most soups are easy to freeze. Be sure your soup is completely cooled before ladling into freezer bags or freezer-safe containers.
- Freeze the soup flat and when frozen, stack the freezer bags of soup upright to save freezer space. Whether you freeze in bags or in containers, be sure to label your soup with the date it was frozen.
- Reheat by letting the soup thaw completely if it was in a frozen state. Heat gently on the stovetop and adjust the seasonings with a few dashes of salt and pepper. The microwave will do as well!
Other Delicious Chicken and Rice Ideas!
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice – perfect weeknight meal
Chicken Burrito Bowl – zesty and delicious!
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup – a slow cooker classic
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken – served over rice
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – yummy one-pot meal!
This homemade soup is quick and hearty, perfect for dinner or lunch at your desk the next day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken cooked/chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 package instant rice wild or brown rice
- Cook onion, carrot, celery and poultry seasoning in olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until onion becomes tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 8 minutes or until heated through.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and garnish with parsley if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)