Mexican Cheese Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Are you ready for something new, different, and super easy to make? This Mexican Cheese Soup recipe is ALL the things! Perfect for a quick weeknight meal or to take to a work potluck or party, this homemade chicken cheese tortilla soup has got that cheesy flavor that makes everyone want seconds!
This soup is so hearty and filling that it truly is a meal in itself! But if you are planning a party and need to add an entree, round out the Mexican theme with Crockpot Chicken Fajitas or Beef Enchiladas.
Mexican Cheese Soup
Pin it your SOUPS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What’s In Mexican Cheese Soup?
The foundation for this creamy chicken and cheese soup is America’s irrepressibly favorite cheese Velveeta. Smooth, easily melted and tastes like everyone’s childhood, Velveeta is the key to this fun and filling recipe! For a more savory soup, make this recipe with broth instead of water, which really binds all the flavors together!
Let’s Make It!
- Brown the meat and drain it. Add meat to a stockpot.
- Cut the Velveeta cheese into little cubes and stir into meat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Cook on low another 10 minutes or so until it is fully heated through. Feel free to add the cooked meat and the rest of the ingredients to a slow cooker or crock pot and heat for up to 2 hours on high.
What To Serve It With
Mexican Cheese Soup is a perfect south-of-the-border contribution to a Tex-Mex potluck or banquet! Here is my list of favorite add-ons and mix-ins so you can offer a variety of things your guests will love!
- Sliced olives
- Sliced jalapenos
- Diced green chiles
- Diced onions
- Cooked potatoes (cut into cubes)
- Cubed avocado
- Diced zucchini
- Crushed or strips of tortilla chips
How To Store Leftover Cheese Soup
Like all soups, make sure your soup is fully chilled before covering it in an airtight container.
- To refrigerate – it should last, covered, at least one week in your refrigerator.
- To freeze – ladle the chilled soup into zippered bags or freezer safe containers. Write the date on each and freeze up to 3 months.
- To thaw – simply remove from the freezer and either allow to thaw in the fridge overnight or in the microwave.
- To reheat – reheat by returning it to a pot on the stove over low heat, and freshen up the flavor with salt and pepper or a dash of red pepper flakes and you are good to go!
More Delicious Soups To Try!
Chicken Tortellini Soup – so good!
Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Asiago – perfectly cheesy.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup – a unique twist on a classic!
Squash Soup – a fall favorite
Chicken Kale Soup– very hearty!
Mexican Cheese Soup is perfect for a quick weeknight meal, a potluck or party. This homemade soup has that cheesy flavor that makes everyone want seconds!
- 1 lb Velveeta
- 1 lb ground chicken sausage or hamburger would be great too!
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Rotel undrained
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 cups beef broth
Brown meat, drain and put into a pot.
Cut Velveeta into cubes and put into the pot.
Dump rest of ingredients into the pot and stir.
Cook on low for 10 minutes until heated through.
Can also be made in the slow cooker. Set on low for 2-3 hours until heated through.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)