This quick and easy cornbread casserole recipe makes the perfect side for the holidays!
Everyone loves this cornbread recipe with its hint of sweetness and slightly savory flavor. Using simple ingredients and quick prep, this cheesy corn casserole can be ready to serve in no time. And with this easy recipe, it bakes up light and fluffy every time! It’s delicious served as a holiday side dish, but also for breakfast, brunch or even with dinner!
Best Cornbread Casserole!
- Cornbread casserole is a moist and creamy version of cornbread but with a more rich and sweet flavor.
- This classic comfort food recipe comes together in minutes using one bowl and can be served straight from the casserole dish. Saves time and clean-up!
- A delicious departure from potatoes or rice, cornbread casserole can be baked up to a day ahead and is party or potluck ready when you are!
- Economical and easy to double up, corn casserole can also be a main dish. Simply add summer sausage, hot dogs, chicken, or bacon.
Ingredients and Variations
DRY INGREDIENTS: Flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder are the base for this recipe. In a pinch for time? Use a box of Jiffy cornbread mix instead! Simply add an extra egg and a ½ cup of milk to the wet ingredients.
WET INGREDIENTS: Oil, butter, eggs, and sour cream balance out the sweet flavor of the corn. Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream.
CORN: This recipe calls for corn and canned creamed corn, for extra sweetness and texture. Fresh corn kernels from the cob, canned, or frozen corn can also be used.
CHEESE: Sharp cheddar cheese pairs perfectly with sweet corn. Why not try a Mexican blend, Monterey Jack, or a combination of all 3!
How to make Cornbread Casserole
- Mix the dry ingredients together (as per the recipe below).
- Gently stir in the remaining ingredients and pour into a casserole dish.
- Bake until browned on top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
What To Serve Cornbread Casserole With
Cornbread casserole goes perfectly with so many meals and for so many occasions. It makes a wonderful addition to any holiday feast, or for game day serve it with chili or burgers. As a mid week, easy side dish, try it with a moist and delish meatloaf and a crisp green salad. Or serve it as a fabulous side with on the weekend with some fall off the bone crock pot ribs! The options are endless with this versatile recipe.
Why not make a more hearty, stuffed version and mix in some jalapenos, black olives, diced zucchini, green onions, or chopped spinach. Delish!
Time Saving Tips
Let the casserole rest for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving. Keep leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat portions in the microwave or oven. To freeze corn casserole, cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight before reheating.
Other Tasty Sides To Try!
- Jalapeno Cornbread – spiced right!
- Stuffing Waffles – delicious and different
- Cranberry Stuffing Muffins – perfect for the holidays
- Corn Pudding Casserole – another tasty cornbread casserole
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes – festive and so easy
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 11x7 inch casserole dish and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix gently until fully combined.
- Spread into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until browned on top.
- Give cornbread casserole 5 minutes to rest before slicing and serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 3 days,
- Reheat portions in the microwave or covered with foil in the oven.
- Wrap cooled casserole with plastic wrap and place in freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.