This Chocolate Chiffon Cake is the real deal when it comes to serious dessert recipes!
Ever made a cake from scratch? Really from scratch? This timeless recipe uses simple ingredients and techniques, just like Grandma did. Chocolate Chiffon Cake comes out moist and airy, with a melt-in-your-mouth dark chocolate flavor complemented by a homemade fluffy frosting.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
PIN IT to your DESSERT board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Delicious Chocolate Dessert
- This is the best traditional chocolate cake recipe that will be on the menu all year long for every day as well as special occasions! Delicious served after a comforting Turkey Pot Pie diner.
- Teach kids to bake with this basic recipe using simple ingredients and classic baking methods. Make it a family cooking event and create some new kitchen memories!
Ingredients & Variations
CAKE BATTER: Cake batter is a science, so keep the quantities true to the recipe. But have fun experimenting with extracts. Instead of vanilla, try almond, rum, banana, coconut, orange, not only in the batter but in the frosting! Create a new cake every time!
How to Bake Chocolate Chiffon Cake
This is a classic recipe with old-world flavor:
- Dissolve cocoa in boiling water. Set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients together and then slowly add oil, egg yolks, vanilla, and cocoa mixture to the bowl. Beat at medium speed.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently cut egg whites into the cake batter with two butter knives until incorporated.
- Spread batter into an angel food cake pan and bake (as per recipe below).
- Cream butter and blend with cocoa, powdered sugar, and half & half.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate with butter for drizzling over finished cake
- Remove cake from the bundt pan and place on a serving platter. Frost and garnish with grated squares of baker’s chocolate, multi-colored sprinkles, sliced strawberries, a handful of blueberries, or some crushed walnuts.
Tips for the Perfect Fluffy Cake
- For an extra fluffy cake, use extra-large eggs that are room temperature for a lighter and airier cake!
- The egg whites need to be at the perfect stiff peak for an airy result.
- Frosting made with whole fat, unsalted, room temperature butter is best because it will whip up faster than cold butter.
Short on Time?
- Have eggs, butter, and half & half ready to go at room temperature.
- Keep cooled cake in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Freeze unfrosted cake portions in quart-sized bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 4 weeks.
Other Easy Cake Recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake – quick and easy recipe.
- Rainbow Cupcakes – perfect for birthday parties!
- RumChata Poke Cake Recipe – delicious cinnamon flavor.
- Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake – super simple recipe!
- Mixed Berry Dump Cake – with just 3 ingredients.
- Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake – with a cake mix.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Mix boiling water and cocoa. Set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Add oil, egg yolks, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Beat for about 3 minutes at medium speed with mixer.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg whites into the cake batter gently, then cut through the batter with a knife to break any large air bubbles.
- Pour into ungreased angel food pan and bake 55 minutes. Increase temperature to 350°F and bake another 10 minutes.
- Invert pan to cool cake before removing from pan.
- Cream butter. Blend in cocoa, vanilla, sugar alternately with the cream.
- Beat until smooth and creamy. Frost cake.
- Melt 2-1 oz. squares of unsweetened chocolate with 2 Tablespoons butter.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over top of cake.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.