This easy Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is the perfect way to transform a simple white cake mix into a deliciously decadent cake.
Who doesn’t love an easy cake recipe hack? Just a simple box mix, a couple of eggs, and sour cream for a rich and moist consistency. Then toss in a handful of chocolate chips and bake for a coffee-worthy and impressive dessert!
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
PIN IT to your DESSERTS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What is a Bundt Cake?
- Bundt cakes are known for their distinctive tall, donut shape. And Bundt cake pans are made with varying designs in the pan, which makes the finished result look extra fancy.
- Easy ingredients, one bowl, and simple instructions. Literally mix, bake, cool and serve! This is the easiest cake recipe ever and makes the perfect dessert for any celebration!
- Many Bundt cake recipes are handed down from generation to generation. This recipe takes out a few steps by using a premade cake mix, saving time, and clean up!
- Sliced thin or thick, Bundt cake is the perfect snack cake served warm with ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce, or fresh berries!
Ingredients & Variations
CAKE BATTER: A white cake batter mix showcases the baked-in chocolate chips. Try a yellow cake mix, chocolate, or mix up the flavors and try an apple spice cake mix or a red velvet one for a new dessert every time! No sour cream? Use plain Greek yogurt!
TOPPINGS: So many ideas! Keep it simple and sprinkle powdered sugar through a sieve on top of the cake or use this simple apple fritter glaze. Looking for a fancier topping besides a store-bought frosting? Try the easy chocolate glaze found in this Chocolate Dipped Air Fryer Donut Recipe! Sprinkle on colorful jimmies for a birthday Bundt cake or top with fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries.
MIX-INS: Aside from the chocolate chips, a Bundt cake has the texture and height for a variety of baked-in surprises! Mini butterscotch chips, chopped nuts, toasted coconut, even red and green dried cherries for a holiday presentation!
How to Make a Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips
This simple bundt cake is quick and easy to prepare with just 3 steps!
- Mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a bowl.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake, cool completely before turning upside down.
- Once cool enough to handle, place a rack on top of the Bundt cake and flip it over. It is very important to allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan.
- For best results, liberally grease the Bundt cake pan and then lightly flour the inside to make sure the cake releases from the mold.
- Freeze a whole Bundt cake after it’s been cooled by wrapping it in plastic wrap, followed with a foil wrap, for up to 3 months. Or freeze individual wedges in plastic wrap and place them in zippered bags for quick grab and go treats. Allow to thaw at room temperature overnight before serving.
Time Saving Tips
Get bakery-quality results using a boxed mix and save time with a can or two of pre-made frosting – the possibilities are endless!
To easily coat a Bundt cake with store-bought frosting, peel off the foil covering and heat the frosting in the microwave for 30 seconds to make it easier to spread.
Favorite Boxed Cake Mix Recipes
- Cake Mix Banana Bread – 3 ingredient recipe!
- Rainbow Cupcakes – so beautiful.
- Mixed Berry Dump Cake – just 5 minute prep.
- Cake Mix Cookie Bars – gooey and delicious!
- Pumpkin Roll Cake – perfect for any occasion.
Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- 1 box white cake mix yellow or chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips mini or regular
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a Bundt pan very well.
- In a large bowl, beat together all ingredients (except chocolate chips).
- Fold chocolate chips into the batter and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake on the middle rack for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, loosen from pan using a rubber spatula and flip onto a plate.
- Frost, dust with powdered sugar, or serve plain.
- Make certain the Bundt cake pan is greased and floured liberally so the cake will release from the mold.
- To remove from pan: Cool cake completely, place a rack on top of the Bundt cake and flip it over.
- To Freeze: Wrap cooled cake in plastic wrap followed by foil warp for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
REPIN this Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake recipe!
I needed to make a desert for a company party but the roads were icy and I couldn’t go to the store. I had a cake mix, sour cream and chocolate chips on hand, so this recipe was a great solution!! I had to sample it (of course) before giving it to others, it turned out so moist and delicious my husband asked if I would make another! This is a definite KEEPER❤️
I am so happy to hear you loved this recipe Jacqueline!
Followed the exact recipe and it is moist and delicious. I made my own chocolate frosting.
So happy to hear that, Tina! Glad you enjoyed it.