American Goulash is a fun, old fashioned family recipe that’s easy to make with just a few ingredients.
Make this American Goulash Recipe for after the game, or to feed a crowd at a party or potluck. Made with ground beef, a few spices and some tasty pasta sauce it can be whipped up quickly and easily.
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
What Is Goulash?
- Popular in the Midwest and southern American states, goulash is also known by the fun name ‘slumgullion.’ It’s a favorite with the kids and it’s easy to sneak it a few healthy veggies, too!
- Cook American goulash in one pot on the stove top, crock pot, or instant pot!
- Goulash is a perfect comfort food dish for chilly Fall days!
Goulash Ingredients & Variations
MEAT: Seasoned ground beef gives American goulash it’s rich and savory flavor, but it’s also a perfect way to use up leftover turkey, chicken, sausage, even meatballs! For a vegetarian goulash, switch out the meat for tofu and add some mushrooms, diced bell peppers, or diced potatoes!
PASTA: Traditional American goulash is made with elbow macaroni, but thicker kinds of pasta like penne, shells, or rotini will work, too!
SAUCE: A jar of pre-made pasta sauce is a real-time saver! Add some tomatoes and seasonings to make a signature dish!
How To Make American Goulash
- Brown the beef, drain & then add the sauce, diced tomatoes, & seasonings.
- Add noodles to sauce and heat through.
- Serve immediately.
In the Crock Pot: Sauté the onion with beef in a skillet. Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 2 hours on low or 1 hour on high, or until the pasta is tender.
In the Instant Pot: Set the Instant pot to sauté and cook the onion with the beef. Drain and then add the remaining ingredients. Seal and cook on high for 25 minutes. Allow for a natural steam release. Stir and serve.
What Do You Eat With Goulash?
Recipe Tips – Can You Freeze Goulash with Pasta?
Leftover American Goulash tastes better the next day! Keep it covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat it on the stovetop, oven or in the microwave. It’s great as a next day lunch at school or work.
Other Easy Pasta Recipes
- Sausage and Peppers Pasta – easy skillet recipe.
- Chicken Bacon Alfredo Roll-Ups – delicious make ahead meal.
- Pasta Primavera Recipe – loaded with veggies!
- 3 Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe – dinner in under an hour.
- Cheesy Ground Beef Pasta – one pot dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 28 ounce pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Brown beef and onions in a large skillet. Drain fat.
- Add the pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, and seasonings to the beef. Simmer 15 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering cook elbow noodles according to package directions.
- Stir noodles into the ground beef sauce. Simmer 2-3 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
1 green bell pepper to cook with the beef and onions
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.