Texas toast pizza is almost as much fun to make as it is to eat!
Thick slices of Texas toast covered with pizza sauce, melted cheese, and pepperoni make for quick and tasty mini pizzas that kids can prepare all by themselves!
Grownups will enjoy these made as a hot snack or light lunch too. Top individual Texas toast pizzas with an assortment of favorite toppings to make it unique and special!
Quick & Easy Meal!
- Texas toast pizza is ideal for when a quick snack or a light lunch on the go is needed.
- Kids can make a hot lunch in the oven by themselves with this easy recipe! And they can choose their own toppings.
- Try making soup a meal, by serving some Texas toast pizza alongside a steaming bowl of this easy minestrone soup, vegetable soup with cabbage, or one- pot hamburger vegetable soup.
Ingredients & Variations
TEXAS TOAST: It’s a thicker slice of bread, making it perfect for piling high with pizza toppings. Try using the whole wheat variety for more fiber. Mini pizzas can be made from frozen or defrosted slices. Just one serving? Pop it in the toaster to defrost. Or make smaller portions using garlic bread!
PIZZA SAUCE: Grab an 8-ounce can from the market and spoon it onto the toast, or make your own homemade pizza sauce, if there’s time.
CHEESE: What is pizza without melted cheese? This recipe calls for shredded mozzarella, but feel free to substitute another favorite or make 3-cheese pizza toast.
TOPPINGS: Keep a bag of sliced pepperoni in the meat keeper to make this a go-to snack for after school or soccer practice. Other tasty toppings include sliced vegetables like peppers and mushrooms, jalapenos, sausage crumbles, or even shredded chicken or chopped bacon.
How to Make Texas Toast Pizza
Pizza toast is a cinch to make, even younger children can help!
- Spread pizza sauce on each slice of Texas toast (as per the recipe below).
- Add shredded cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the cheese melts.
Tips & Tricks!
Here’s the best way to prep Texas toast pizza ahead for grab-and-go snacks or lunches,
- Toast the bread first. Then spread with pizza sauce, add cheese, and cover with pepperoni.
- Lay each slice on a cookie tray and put it in the freezer immediately (so that sauce doesn’t sink into the bread.)
- Once frozen, remove and put a piece of wax paper between each slice. Store flat in an airtight container or bag.
To heat, simply place in a preheated oven, or air fryer, until the cheese melts and gets browned and bubbly.
Texas Toast Pizza
- 6 slices Texas toast style bread frozen or homemade
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup pepperoni slices
- 8 ounces pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- If bread is frozen, place on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- Spread pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni on each slice of Texas toast bread. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for 3 days. Reheat in oven or air fryer until just warmed through.
- Freeze mini pizzas prior to baking, in between pieces of wax paper, and store in an airtight bag or container for up to 3 months.
- To heat frozen Texas toast pizzas, thaw first then place in a preheated oven and cook as directed in the recipe.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.