Pierogi Casserole is a delicious way to turn those simple doughy pierogis into a cheesy and comforting dinner.
In this easy recipe, tender pierogis are covered in a creamy sauce of mushrooms, ham, and onions. Then covered with cheese and baked until the top is crisp and golden. There is comfort in every bite of this family favorite!
PIN IT to your CASSEROLES BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Cozy Delicious Casserole
Truly, there is no substitute for homemade pierogis or ones that you purchase from a farmer’s market. But if you are craving pierogis and are not able to bring homemade ones to your table, then this Pierogi Casserole recipe is the next best thing!
- Sometimes referred to as lazy pierogis, this no-fuss meal has to be one of the easiest meals to create! All the ingredients are layered in one pan, making prep and clean-up a breeze.
- Pierogis are a tender delicacy especially when they are homemade. However, store-bought versions are quite delicious and can easily be found in the frozen section of the supermarket.
- Baked in a simple mushroom sauce, these pierogis are so tender. Nothing can beat the warm layer of cheese on top which is baked to a golden, warm, and delicious crust in the oven.
- Serve it with Tomato Salad Recipe, or a Quick and Easy Borscht Soup, or some Fried Cabbage with Bacon.
Ingredients & Variations
PIEROGIS Use homemade pierogis or store-bought versions. They can easily be found in the frozen section of the supermarket.
THE SAUCE A creamed can of mushroom soup, some smooth velvety butter, milk, and chopped ham are all that is needed for this simple sauce.
Sub out the ham for cooked bacon or even cooked ground sausage. Any of these options would be equally delicious!
VARIATIONS Sprinkle the pierogis with some crumbled pieces of bacon for added flavoring. Toss in some kielbasa/sausage or some Easy Shredded Chicken.
How to Make Pierogi Casserole
A lazy and tasty casserole is such a comforting dish!
- Place the pierogis in a baking dish.
- Top with cooked ham and onions.
- Pour on the sauce.
- Cover with cheese and bake (as per the recipe below).
Best Shortcut Tips
- The best part of this recipe is that the sauce, sautéed onions, and ham can be made the day before. Just assemble and cook.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- To reheat any leftovers, place them in an ovenproof dish and place them in a 325°F oven until heated through.
- This casserole can also be frozen. Just remember that sometimes creamy sauces lose some of their consistency after freezing. To cook after it has been frozen, let it thaw and cook as per the recipe below.
- While pierogi casserole is a super easy recipe and already has easy clean-up, you can make it even easier if you line your baking dish with foil.
- Be sure to spray liberally with cooking spray or even brush with melted butter before laying your ingredients. What could be easier for busy weeknights!
Favorite Casserole Recipes
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole – quick and simple
Taco Casserole – with a surprise crust!
Bacon Cheeseburger Meatballs – simple yets soo delicious
Leftover Turkey Casserole – a favorite recipe for leftover turkey!
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 bags frozen pierogies (14 pierogies in each bag)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup cooked ham diced
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- Saute onion slices with butter until soft.
- Combine the mushroom soup and milk till smooth. Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of pan with frozen perogies. Top with cooked onion and diced ham.
- Pour the mushroom soup mixture over the entire pan, covering evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour.