Pierogi casserole is the ultimate comfort food!
Layer some potato-filled pierogi with sauteed onions, ham, and savory mushroom soup, and top with melty cheese.
No one can say no to this delish dish and it’s made in one pot!
An Easy Casserole!
- This quick and easy pierogi casserole recipe uses ingredients likely already in the pantry and no need to thaw pierogies, just toss them in!
- Enjoy pierogi casserole as a meatless meal or add shredded chicken, sliced kielbasa sausage, or any leftover meat!
- Budget-friendly, filling, and so delicious, pierogi casserole is a great dish for larger families and when company’s coming! Serve with a spicy tomato salad, or fried cabbage and some borscht soup!
Ingredients and Variations
Pierogies – Pierogies can be found in the frozen section or you can make them homemade and keep leftovers for future recipes! Pierogies can be switched out for tater tots, large egg noodles, or macaroni shells.
Sauce – Cream of mushroom sauce, cream of celery, or cream of chicken are all great choices!
Variations – Expand on the savory mushroom soup theme and add sauteed sliced mushrooms. Also, spinach, diced zucchini, or toss in a bag of frozen mixed veggies with the pierogies and you won’t need to add a veggie side dish!
How to Make a Pierogi Casserole
- Saute onions in butter until softened.
- In a bowl, whisk the mushroom soup with milk.
- Spread the frozen perogies in a casserole dish and top with onions and ham.
- Pour the soup mixture over the entire pan.
- Cover with cheese and bake (per recipe below) until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
What to Serve With Pierogi Casserole
If using sausage, bacon, or diced ham, cook in advance and add in Step 4 or as a topping.
Tips and Tricks
- Line the casserole dish with foil and spray a little pan release for easy clean-up!
- Store leftover pierogi casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat portions in the oven at 350°F until heated through.
- Pierogi casserole can be frozen, but the dairy will change the consistency.
Have you tried this Pierogi Casserole recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 boxes frozen pierogies 1 pound box or 24 pierogies in total
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup cooked ham diced
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 green onion sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Saute onion slices with butter until soft and starting to turn golden.
- In a medium bowl combine the mushroom soup and milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of pan with frozen perogies. Top with cooked onion and diced ham.
- Pour the mushroom soup mixture over the entire pan, covering evenly. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour or until heated through and cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve topped with green onion.
- *Bacon or sausage can be used in place of ham.
- Line casserole dish with foil and spray pan release for quick and easy clean-up!
- Refrigerate leftover pierogi casserole covered for up to 3 days.
- Reheat portions in the microwave or the oven until heated through.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.