Blueberry Overnight French Toast Bake is an easy and excellent way to prep a special breakfast the night before!
This simple breakfast casserole is an elegant way to enjoy breakfast or brunch! It’s a creamy treat that is loaded with blueberries and topped with a deliciou oat topping. What a fun way to wake up the fam or celebrate a special occasion.
Blueberry Overnight French Toast Bake
PIN IT to your BREAKFAST board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Blueberry French toast bake is prepped the night before and baked to heavenly perfection in the oven and served hot.
- Simple pantry ingredients make this casserole easy and a genuine time and energy saver!
- It’s fun to serve with so many toppings available. Try with warm maple syrup, whipped cream, extra fruit, or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Add a pitcher of this Green Smoothie, or a hot and yummy Peppermint Mocha Latte. Don’t forget some fun Fruit Kabobs with Chocolate Drizzle.
Ingredients and Variations
BREAD: Use up that stale, leftover bread! Baguettes, brioche, even biscuits will work. Choose thick bread that can be torn or cut into larger pieces for soaking up the custard. Leave bread out to dry out or slow bake it in the oven until it’s dried out. Raisin bread is yummy, too!
CUSTARD: Creamy custard is made with lots of eggs, cream cheese, and milk. A dash of maple syrup, sugar, and lemon zest give the casserole a sweet, tangy flavor. Heavy whipping cream makes the custard even creamier and adding an extract like maple, banana, rum, or coconut can be mixed and matched with different fruits.
FRUITS: For this recipe, using a fresh blueberry, apple, strawberry, or banana filling changes up the entire flavor but keeps the basic seasoned bread and custard recipe the same.
TOPPING: The crunchy, sweetened oatmeal topping creates the perfect crunch over the fluffy, moist French toast. Similar to a streusel, finely chopped pecans or walnuts can be added for extra flavor.
How To Make Blueberry French Toast Bake
- Prepare bread, blend cream cheese and sugar, (per recipe below).
- Place half the bread cubes in a prepared casserole dish. Top with half the cream cheese mixture and half the blueberries (or other optional fruit).
- Top with remaining cream cheese mixture & blueberries.
- Prepare custard & pour over the French toast. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning allow casserole to set at room temperature.
- Sprinkle on topping & bake cream cheese French toast casserole until it is cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- No need to thaw frozen blueberries before adding them to the French toast. Simply toss them in flour before using so they don’t ‘bleed’ or sink to the bottom during baking.
- Check for doneness by inserting a wooden pick into the center of the casserole. If it comes out clean, it’s done!
- Take eggs, and cream cheese out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before using so it’s easier to mix.
- Make the streusel in advance and save in a covered container in the refrigerator. Shake vigorously before sprinkling onto the French toast prior to baking.
Other Easy Breakfast Ideas To Try!
- Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas – easy overnight recipe!
- Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich – quick grab and go breakfast.
- Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole – perfect for brunch!
- Breakfast Enchilada Casserole – delicious
Blueberry Overnight French Toast Bake
- Leave bread out for a few hours or place it on a tray at 350˚F for about 8 minutes to slightly dry out.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
- Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish. Layer half of the bread cubes in the pan. Top with cream cheese mixture and half of the blueberries. Top with remaining bread and blueberries.
- In a bowl, stir together the eggs, milk, syrup, and lemon zest until well mixed. Pour over the bread cubes, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the casserole from the fridge about 45-50 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix topping ingredients together in a small bowl. Sprinkle over casserole just before baking.
- Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and is hot.