We love making decadent and amazing desserts. Some of our most favorite ones are Berry Fluff Pie, also the Pecan Pie Cheesecake Bars. I also recommend you try this homemade Key Lime Pie and silky smooth No-Bake Chocolate Pie.
German Chocolate Pie
Pin it to your DESSERTS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This German Chocolate Pie is rich, chocolaty with the right balance of sweetness to it. Just like this German Chocolate Cake, it is the perfect combination of chocolate and coconut-pecan filling that makes this pie one of the best. The flavors are irresistible, and it is perfect to enjoy pretty much any day of the year.
This pie is also quite festive looking. So, you can definitely make it for birthday parties, holidays, or special events. If you love chocolate, there is no better dessert out there.
This pie requires simple ingredients and a little bit of time to prepare. Although this is an easy recipe to make and follow, it does require some time to prepare so plan accordingly.
How To Make German Chocolate Pie?
For the exact measurements and steps, please see the recipe card below. However, the general steps are as follows:
- Prepare the Crust Pie: the pie has an easy No-Bake Oreo Crust, that is made with just two ingredients.
- Make the Chocolate Mixture: Microwave chocolate and butter until melted and set aside. Combine the cocoa powder, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the heavy cream. Prepare the egg yolks, and add the cornstarch mixture gradually to the eggs, whisking constantly. Eventually returning the mixture on the stove. Then, add the melted chocolate and pecans to the mixture. Once all ingredients have been combined, pour filling into crust-lined plate. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Coconut Mixture: Cook butter, condensed milk and egg yolks over medium-low heat. Stir in coconut flakes and chopped pecans. Let the mixture cool then pour over top of cooled chocolate layer.
- Serve: After all the layers have been assembled, refrigerate the pie for 3 hours. It will firm up nicely. Enjoy as is, or with a cup of tea or coffee!
Can I Make It In Advance?
Absolutely! If you want to make it ahead simply follow the recipe steps below. Then, let the pie completely cool prior to storing it. Once cooled, wrap it with plastic, and store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Can I Freeze German Chocolate Pie?
Yes! Prior to freezing, ensure the pie is cooled. Then transfer it to a freezer-safe dish and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight on the counter prior to serving.
- If you prefer the cake sweeter, adjust the sugar content in it.
- Do not overcook the pie. It should be slightly soft when pulled out of the oven. It will firm up as it sits and cooled.
- Because chocolate is the main ingredient here, I strongly recommend using a high-quality one. Feel free to use more or less cocoa % based on your preference.
- Also, if you like pecans, feel free to add some extra. Similarly, if you are allergic to pecans or not a fan, simply do not use them.
- You can also decorate it with some sprinkles, or top it with some melted caramel.
Other Delicious Desserts To Try!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – so easy and fun!
Caramel Apple Cheesecake – perfect Fall dessert.
Cake Mix Cookie Bars – when you are in a rush.
Lemon Cheesecake – a classic!
Classic Peach Galette – so pretty.
German Chocolate Pie
No-Bake Oreo Crust:
- 3 cups oreo crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 1 ½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Whole pecans
- Chocolate sauce
No-Bake Oreo Crust:
- In a medium-size bowl combine melted butter with Oreo crumbs and mix until fully combined.
- Using a measuring cup, press the cookie crumbs mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 1/2 inches pie pan. Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes for the crust to harden.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add chocolate and butter to a medium, microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir until smooth, and add vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder and cornstarch to a small size saucepan and place it over medium heat.
- Once sugar is melted, whisk in heavy cream and cook stirring until the mixture thickens and is bubbly, for about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add room temperature egg yolks to a small bowl. Whisk in a small amount of the CREAM mixture into the egg yolks, continuing to add small amounts. You don't have to add ALL the mixture to the eggs, just enough to temper them, so they don't curd when combined with the hot mixture.
- Add the EGG mixture to the remaining CREAM mixture and place the pan over medium heat. Whisk constantly and bring to a gentle boil, cook stirring for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in melted chocolate mixture until fully combined.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set.
- Cool completely before adding the Coconut-Pecan Topping.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, butter and lightly beaten egg yolks to a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook stirring until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, coconut flakes, and chopped pecans.
- Cool the mixture, then spread it on top of the chocolate layer.
- Garnish with whole pecans.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
- Serve drizzled with chocolate sauce.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.