Black Bean Pasta is easy to make, protein-packed, and healthy.
This simple vegetarian main dish is a flavorful full meal deal! It’s also one of the best and heartiest ways to feed a crowd. Why not prepare some toppings in bowls on the side, and let guests make their own creation? Try serving with shredded cheese, jalapenos, or even a bowl of meatless meatballs.
Best One-Pot Pasta Recipe!
- Vegetarian pasta recipes are all the rage! With easy prep and affordability, noodles can be transformed into so many different recipes! This one is a winner because it’s excellent served hot or cold.
- One-pot pasta meals save time, money, and clean-up. Make more than one batch and serve all week for lunches or dinners.
- Keep black bean pasta in a casserole dish and simply bake to reheat it!
Ingredients And Variations
PASTA: Rotini is a robust pasta that stands up well with other ingredients. Choose similar pasta that can hold sauce such as penne, macaroni, or bowtie.
BEANS: Black beans are the preferred bean to use because they are colorful, firm, and loaded with nutrition. Other canned beans like cannellini beans and kidney beans can be switched out or mixed into the recipe for contrast.
ADD-INS: Think of other colorful and healthy additions like corn, green beans, diced tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, bleu cheese crumbles, spinach, or kale. Garnish with some freshly grated parmesan cheese or chopped parsley!
How to Make Black Bean Pasta
This quick and easy dish is ready in no time for a quick healthy supper!
- Prepare pasta, drain and set aside.
- Saute peppers & onions in oil until they are softened, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and simmer (per recipe below).
- Add pasta to the sauce and cook through. Serve immediately.
What Goes with Black Bean Pasta?
This amazing recipe goes with anything! A crispy cucumber radish salad with a vinaigrette dressing is perfect! Or for something with a little more color, try this delish strawberry salad. Don’t forget to add some homemade dinner rolls to soak up all that sauce!
Time Savers and Recipe Tips!
- Cook the pasta and sauce separately and keep in the refrigerator until ready to assemble. Heat up sauce and add pasta. Cook pasta al dente (firm), so that once it’s added to the sauce it won’t overcook.
- Keep leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
- Greek Shrimp Pasta Salad – bright and tangy.
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad – hearty and delicious.
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta – warm comfort food at it’s best.
Black Bean Pasta
- Add salt to pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta al dente according to the package instructions, strain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized pot, then add peppers and onion. Cook over medium heat until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, seasoning, and black beans. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to the sauce and mix until fully combined.
- Make ahead idea! Prepare the pasta and sauce separately and refrigerate until ready to assemble. Simply heat up the sauce and add the pasta.
- It's recommended to cook pasta until just al dente (firm), so that it will not overcook when added to the sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop with a bit of water or vegetable broth, or in the microwave.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.