Taco night is so easy with this recipe for Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos!
Make everything in one Crock Pot or even use an Instant Pot! Cooking for a crowd has never been easier with this slow cooker chicken taco recipe. It’s spicy, juicy and the chicken turns out amazingly tender and flavorful. Chicken tacos have never tasted so good!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
PIN IT to your MAIN DISH board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Recipe
- 5 ingredients and 2 steps are all it takes to get taco night started! Start the slow cooker before work and come home to ready-made taco filling.
- Set it and forget it! Plus it’s perfect for a DIY taco bar party. Just add bowls of toppings and taco shells or tortillas and let guests help themselves.
- Season with taco seasoning, with cilantro & lime, with green chilis, or with salsa. Shredded crockpot chicken can be made differently every time.
Chicken Taco Ingredients and Variations
PROTEIN: Chicken breasts make this a lower-calorie dish, but ground beef or turkey can be used as well as shredded beef (fajitas) or shredded pork (carnitas).
SAUCE: This recipe is prepared with Rotel tomatoes because they already come pre-seasoned which saves time, but a can of crushed tomatoes mixed with salsa will also add a punch of flavor. A package of taco seasoning can be made spicier by adding a dash of cayenne pepper.
MIX-INS: Black beans and corn give the dish color and texture, but anything that goes in regular tacos can be tossed in the crockpot! Black olives, jalapenos, and onions are great mix-ins, too.
TOPPINGS: Don’t forget the cheese! Shredded cheddar and mozzarella or crumbled cotija are great toppings. Chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce or cabbage, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and some extra hot sauce on the side are all perfect for taco night.
How To Make Shredded Chicken Tacos
This is truly as easy as it gets, just a couple of simple steps lead to taco perfection:
- Place all of the ingredients in a Crockpot, cover, and cook per recipe below.
- About 2 hours before serving, shred the chicken before returning it back to the crock pot.
Recipe Tips for Tacos!
- Putting frozen or raw chicken in the crockpot is perfectly okay as long it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. For best results check by inserting a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the meat before shredding.
- Keep chicken from drying out in the Crockpot by cooking it with a cup of chicken broth.
Time Saving Tips
Shorten Crock Pot time by using thawed chicken breasts that are cut in half, or use smaller chicken thighs. Try cooking for only 4 hours on high, but be sure to test the temperature with a meat thermometer, making sure it reaches 165°F. Or, make the entire recipe in advance and keep it covered in a container in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop and keep warm in the Crockpot.
Tasty Mexican Favorites
- Mexican Corn Salad – with cilantro cayenne dressing!
- Southwest Shredded Chicken Enchiladas – baked casserole-style
- Mexican Cheese Soup – hearty & filling.
- CrockPot Mexican Dip– super easy!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2-3 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles or a small jar of salsa (if using rotel, drain half the water)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Place all ingredients in the Crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours
- Two hour before cooking cycle is complete, remove chicken breasts to a cutting board or tray. Shred the chicken using two forks, then return it to the Crockpot to finish cooking.
- Serve on tortillas with your choice of toppings