The holidays wouldn’t be complete without a batch or two of Christmas Rice Krispie Treats.
These are the best Rice Krispie treats to make because they come out so soft and chewy, and everyone love them! Our simple homemade version is a take on the original recipe and decorated with red and green M&M’s or with sprinkles. They are lower in fat and calories than most holiday cookies, which is a treat in itself! Make these classic cereal bites part of your family’s tradition for the holidays.
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
PIN IT your DESSERTS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentslessMeals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Did you know rice Krispies treats were invented in 1926? And they’ve been part of everyone’s favorite dessert recipes list ever since! We love easy, budget-friendly desserts that can be made ahead, are portable, and perfect for picnics and parties! Double up a batch and watch them disappear!
Rice Krispie Treats Variations
Rice Krispie squares are basically made with cereal, marshmallows, butter, and a splash of vanilla. Our Christmas version includes red and green M&Ms and holiday sprinkles.
We love that rice Krispie treats are so versatile! Add a dash of peppermint extract or a spoonful of peanut butter and create new treat sensations!
Or, mold rice Krispies into balls or holiday-shaped molds. Cut them into squares or put them on a stick. Then dip, or drizzle to your delight with colorful holiday icing. Wrap them in plastic wrap, add a ribbon and share with friends and family!
Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
These rice krispie treats are ready to eat in just 3 easy steps!
- Melt butter, add salt, and 8 cups mini marshmallows (as per recipe below). Stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla. Add remaining marshmallows, cereals and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in M&M’s and sprinkles. Press into prepared pan with greased hands or parchment paper. Set for 30 minutes.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Treats!
- The best cereals to use are Rice Krispies or Chex cereals that are the rice or corn variety. Wheat Chex are too dense and the treats won’t be light and fluffy.
- Add the M&M’s after the mixture is thoroughly mixed and fold them in gently so the candies don’t bleed. Avoid patting the mixture down too hard so the treats stay nice and fluffy.
How To Store Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats will keep for about 4 days in a sealed container at room temperature. They can be frozen in portions wrapped in plastic and stored in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 6 weeks. They really are the perfect make-ahead dessert!
Other Festive Recipes To Try!
- Vanilla Fudge Recipe – super creamy.
- Spritz Cookies – easy and colorful!
- Snowball Cookies – delicious and different.
- Molasses Cookies – a classic
- Cranberry Bread Pudding – family favorite.
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 3 cups rice chex cereal
- 1 cup Christmas M&Ms
- 2 teaspoons holiday sprinkles
- Pre measure all ingredients before you begin. Line a 9x13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with non-stick spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, salt, and 8 cups of marshmallows together until smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, remaining 2 cups marshmallows and cereals until fully coated.
- Quickly and gently fold in the M&Ms and sprinkles then transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Top with extra M&M’s and sprinkles, if desired, and use parchment paper or greased hands to gently press the mixture into the pan.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.