This Eggplant Lasagna Recipe is the hearty, healthy, low-carb entrée that won’t make you miss the pasta!
Make this eggplant lasagna with meat sauce or make it meatless, either way, it’s an easy entrée that can be baked and served all week long. Lots of creamy cheese, fresh eggplant, and a simple sauce make this a dinner or lunch that is ready in minutes. This recipe shows how to make a healthy dinner that everyone will love.
Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
PIN IT to your CASSEROLES board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Eggplant Lasagna with Meat Sauce
- Eggplant lasagna will be a family favorite recipe all year long. Even the kids will love this veggie filled entrée.
- Omit the meat for a vegetarian version or keep it with meat for more flavor and texture. Keep this recipe healthy by adding in fresh and healthy veggies.
- It’s a great make-ahead meal for a work potluck or party.
Ingredients and Variations
SAUCE: A jar of marinara makes this lasagna super easy, simply add some Italian seasonings to the ground beef to punch up the flavor if you want to. Use a sugar free pasta sauce such as Rao’s for a true keto version.
EGGPLANT NOODLES: Choose eggplants that are firm, shiny, and without bruises or blemishes. Zucchini, butternut squash, and even sweet potatoes (steamed) can be used, as long as they are sliced thinly enough can be used as well. Peel the veggies, if desired.
CHEESE: The cheese is what brings it all together. Ricotta and cottage cheese are a good combination and the eggs work as a binder. Chopped spinach can be substituted with shredded zucchini or brussels sprouts if desired.
How To Prepare Eggplant
Sprinkle salt on the eggplant and place it in a strainer. This draws out extra moisture that keeps the eggplant from getting too soft. Bake the eggplant and remove it from the oven.
How To Make Eggplant Lasagna
Here are the steps to this keto lasagna:
- Cook ground beef and add the sauce. Simmer.
- Mix the cheeses (except for mozzarella), eggs & spinach.
- Layer ingredients into baking dish and bake (as per recipe below)
For best results, cool lasagna before cutting.
For Eggplant Lasagna Roll-Ups
Cut eggplant lengthwise instead of into rounds. Spread sauce, cheese, and meat on top of each slice of eggplant. Carefully roll up and place, seam side down in a prepared baking dish. Cover with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake.
What To Serve With Eggplant Lasagna
Lasagna doesn’t need much to compliment it. But here are a few sides that would be great to try!
Time Saving Tips
Assemble the eggplant lasagna in advance and keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake. You can also freeze cooked and cooled eggplant lasagna, either as a whole or in single serving portions.
Other Easy Casseroles To Try!
- Cheesy Chicken Vegetable Casserole – a complete meal.
- Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese – so cheesy!
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole – perfect for weeknights.
- 3 Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe – delicious!
Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
- 24 oz Pasta Sauce
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 eggplants large
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- olive oil spray
- salt to taste
- 10 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup cooked spinach squeezed dry
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Slice eggplant into thin slices about ¼” thick. Generously sprinkle with salt and rest in a strainer for about 30 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry with paper towel. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a pan with parchment paper. Arrange eggplant slices evenly on pan and sprinkle with oregano. Bake eggplant for 30 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes. Remove eggplant from oven and reduce heat to 350°F for the lasagna.
- While eggplant is cooking, brown ground beef with Italian seasoning in a pan and drain fat. Add 2 cups pasta sauce and 1 cup water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine all cheese mixture ingredients, except mozzarella, in a separate bowl.
- Place ½ cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Place ⅓ of the eggplant slices over the tomato sauce. Layer ½ cheese mixture, ½ meat mixture.
- Repeat with ⅓ eggplant, remaining cheese mixture, remaining meat mixture and finally remaining ⅓ eggplant. Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake uncovered an additional 15 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from EasyLowCarb’s