Southern hospitality begins with a cold, refreshing glass of this Easy Sweet Tea Recipe!
When the days get hot, knowing how to make sweet tea is essential – no matter where you live! Sweet tea may be a southern favorite, but it is most certainly enjoyed by everyone who tries it. The possibilities for flavorings are only limited by the imagination, so why not get brewing this delicious drink!
A Favorite Summer Beverage!
- Always a hit at picnics, BBQs, and poolside, this recipe shows how to make sweet tea with perfect results every time!
- Adjust the sugar for fewer calories or use your fave sugar-free sweetener!
- Sweet tea is a thirst-quenching summer beverage that goes great with fried chicken, potato salad, and of course pecan pie!
Ingredients And Variations
TEA: Black tea is the standard for a delicious batch of sweet tea but there are many new varieties that can be used. Try green tea or flavor-infused teas like peach, mint, berry, and even lavender!
SUGAR: For best results, superfine sugar will dissolve quicker. Natural sweeteners like Stevia or Monk fruit can be used, just taste test, and adjust as desired.
How to Make Sweet Tea
Sweet tea has that signature flavor that everyone loves, and it’s easily made.
- Place tea bags and baking soda in a heat-proof pitcher and add boiling water.
- Steep for 15 minutes before removing tea bags. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add 4 cups of cold water and chill. Serve over ice and garnish with lemon slices or mint leaves.
Storing Sweet Tea
Keep sweet tea in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze sweet tea in ice cubes and keep them in a zippered bag or in containers. Be sure to leave space between the tea and the top of the container as it will expand as it freezes.
Tips For Success
- Why put baking soda in tea? Hot or cold, black or green, a pinch of baking soda neutralizes tannins and prevents the tea from tasting bitter.
- For super clear ice cubes, make them with distilled water.
PRO TIP: Add a few mint leaves, blueberries, or even edible flowers to the ice cube trays for super elegant drinks!
- Sidecar Cocktail Recipe – any time of year.
- Raspberry Lime Wine Spritzer – so fresh
- Cosmo Cocktail Recipe – quick and easy.
- Sparkling Berry Lemonade – perfect for summer.
Easy Sweet Tea Recipe
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil.
- Place tea bags and baking soda in a heat proof pitcher. Pour boiling water over and let the tea steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove tea bags and add sugar. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved, then add remaining 4 cups of cold water and refrigerate.
- Serve over ice and garnished with lemon slices.
- Serving size based on tea served over ice.
- Refrigerate tea for up to 5 days.
- To freeze, pour sweet tea into ice cube trays, then pop out store in a zippered bag or in containers.
- Add mint leaves, blueberries, or even edible flowers to the ice cube trays for beautiful presentation.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.