Let the crisp fall days at home be filled with the sweet aroma of these pumpkin chocolate chip muffins cooking in the oven.
Made with basic muffin ingredients and combined with the tender notes of nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon along with sweet chunks of chocolate, these muffins are bursting with flavor.
This comforting recipe makes an easy and healthy addition to a chicken waldorf salad lunch or snack.
A Fall-Inspired Muffin Recipe!
- The perfect amount of chocolate chips means sweetness in every bite. Moist, tender, and fluffy these muffins are delectably delicious mini cakes.
- Inspired by the bright, sweet orange flesh of the fall pumpkin, these muffins are a sweet and delectable fall treat.
- These chocolate chip pumpkin muffins make a delicious breakfast treat or afternoon snack with a sweet chocolate covered apple. Make muffins in advance, freeze them, and enjoy when a craving strikes!
Ingredients and Variations
Pumpkin puree – Canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree is a great substitute for oil and eggs in all baked goods. It adds a certain creaminess and tenderness, and it has a light consistency, resulting in a fluffier muffin.
Spices – Nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves are the fall spices of choice. Invigorating, nutty, and sweet it is so easy to include in an orange cranberry sangria or other baked goods like pumpkin cheesecake or pumpkin pie.
Variations – Replace the flour with a gluten-free version.
How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat oven and line muffin tins with liners.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Combine sugars, pumpkin puree, vanilla, egg and oil. Fold in dry ingredients, then chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake (as per directions below).
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Muffins!
- Using the right amount of baking powder and baking soda will help achieve fluffy muffins. If you use too little, the muffins won’t rise. If you use too much they will rise quickly and then fall flat.
- Do not overmix the batter. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined. This will ensure that the muffins are fluffy and moist.
- Let the muffins cool completely before storing them.
- Serve these pumpkin muffins with a hot pumpkin spice latte for an extra special treat!
Simple Storage Solutions
Store muffins in a single layer inside a paper towel-lined airtight container, then place another paper towel on top of the muffins. This will help keep the muffins nice and moist. They can be stored this way for up to 3 days at room temperature. They can also be added to freezer-safe bags and frozen for 1-2 months. Defrost before serving.
Have you tried this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- In another bowl combine white and brown sugar, pumpkin puree, egg, vanilla, and oil, mix until fully combined.
- After that, using a spatula, fold the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, careful to not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into the prepared pan, filling the liners almost to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix carefully until just combined to make sure the muffins come out fluffy and moist.
- Be sure to cool muffins completely before storing them.
- Store muffins in an airtight container, with paper towel on the bottom and the top of the muffins to keep them moist, for up to 3 days.
- Wrap muffins individually in plastic wrap, and then in a zippered bag to freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.