Pumpkin Roll Cake is delicious served any time of year!
This spicy, fragrant jelly roll style cake recipe is a perfect complement to a cup of coffee, cocoa, or tea. Each circular slice is filled and topped with a cream cheese and cool whip mixture, then rolled up and sliced as thin or thick as you like. It’s a fluffy and moist cake combination of fresh fall flavors.
Pumpkin Roll Cake
PIN IT to your DESSERTS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow The Shortcut Kitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Delicious Pumpkin Dessert!
- Make this cinnamon-spicy, savory cake with just 7 ingredients in less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
- ‘Zhoosh’ it up with a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce, a dollop of whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon for an elegant presentation! Top with toasted walnuts or slivered almonds for a more festive look. PRO TIP: Toast nuts in a dry sauté pan to intensify their flavor and make them extra crunchy!
- Perfect for brunch, afternoon tea or coffee, or a last-minute get-together! Make ahead, freeze in portions, and serve as needed! Serve with Peppermint Mocha Latte, some fun Cotton Candy Hot Cocoa Bombs, or a decidedly grown-up Vodka Sweet Tea.
What’s in Pumpkin Roll Cake?
BOX CAKE: Just use any box of pre-made yellow or white cake mix. Apple Spice or even a chocolate cake mix can be used to mix up the flavor profiles! Gluten-free cake mixes will also work, just add a bit more pumpkin or a spoon full or two of applesauce to add more moisture so that it rolls more easily.
PUMPKIN PUREE: Use canned or homemade pumpkin puree. If using canned, be sure it’s not pumpkin pie filling, which often looks exactly the same on the supermarket shelf. It would probably work, but the texture and flavor would be different, and the cake might end up being too sweet.
SEASONING SPICES: Pumpkin pie spice is just the best! It gives amazing flavor to all things pumpkin inspired, from homemade pumpkin spice lattes to Pumpkin Cheesecake. Either buy a seasoning blend or make this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice.
How to Make Pumpkin Roll Cake
Pumpkin Roll Cake looks so fancy on a plate, but it’s so easy to make!
- Beat eggs with pumpkin, cake mix & spices.
- Spread cake batter on baking sheet and bake (per recipe below).
- Flip cake onto towel dusted with icing sugar. Roll cake & towel together to the end.
- Meanwhile make the filling mixture.
- Unroll cooled cake & spread 2/3 of the filling over it. Re-roll cake & ice with remainder of frosting.
Tips for Perfect Pumpkin Cake
- Let the cream cheese come to room temperature before using it so it blends faster and more evenly.
- Prepare the cream cheese and whipped cream icing in advance. Cover the bowl and keep it at room temperature so it spreads more easily over the cooled cake.
- Prep and bake ahead and keep pumpkin roll cake in the refrigerator up to 5 days, because it looks and tastes even better when it is icy cold!
Other Pumpkin Inspired Recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins – just 15 minute prep.
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie – so easy to make.
- Pumpkin Bars – 5 minute prep.
- Nutella Pumpkin Muffins – so delicious.
Pumpkin Roll Cake
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree canned
- 1 ⅔ cups yellow cake mix or white cake mix, about ½ box
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice seasoning
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups cool whip
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a jelly-roll pan (15 x 10-inch) with parchment paper and grease with baking spray or butter.
- Beat eggs on high speed with a hand mixer for 2 minutes, mix in pumpkin and blend until combined.
- Mix cake mix and pumpkin spice seasoning into egg mixture. Blend until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter onto prepared baking sheet and spread evenly to cover entire pan.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Layout out a kitchen towel and dust liberally with powdered sugar. Flip cake onto the towel and remove the parchment paper.
- While cake is still hot, carefully roll the cake and towel together, being gentle so it doesn't break.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy and add the cool whip, mix until smooth and combined.
- Carefully unroll the cake once it is fully cooled. Spread ⅔ of the cream cheese filling over the surface of the cake and re-roll it. Place open-end down.
- Ice the outside with the remaining icing and lightly dust with cinnamon.
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature for easier blending.
- Refrigerate Pumpkin Roll Cake for up to 5 days.
- Wrap cake tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. It is delicious served icy cold.