Cheeseburger salad is a fun and tasty alternative to everyday taco salads!
Seasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, and burger toppings are tossed in crisp, green lettuce and drizzled with a tangy mayo-ketchup dressing. It’s like a low-carb Big Mac in a bowl!
Hearty Low-Carb Salad
- Low in calories, high in protein, and full of fun, this fast food burger bowl recipe works as an energizing workday lunch or light dinner! Make a cheeseburger salad wrap for a healthy bite on the go.
- Make it a cheeseburger ‘deluxe’ salad and add bacon bits. It’s easy to make it keto by subbing sugar-free dressing ingredients.
- Leftover meat and veggies can be added to a cheeseburger salad, making it a budget-friendly dish.
Ingredients and Variations
Beef – Use ground beef with the seasonings listed here or mix it up and use taco or chili seasoning for more flavor! Other proteins to try are ground or shredded chicken or turkey.
Lettuce – Iceberg lettuce keeps its crunch due to its high water content, but romaine or any other salad blend can be mixed in to up the nutrition.
Cheese – Pepper Jack, Swiss, or blue cheese crumbles can work in this salad!
Veggies – Onions, tomatoes, pickles, olives, and even avocados can be added to cheeseburger salad! Cherry tomatoes can be switched out for regular tomatoes for a different look and red onions can be exchanged too.
Dressing – Mayo and ketchup and a dash of vinegar and chili sauce are the base for this distinctive ‘big mac-style’ sauce. For fewer calories and a keto version, opt for sugar-free ketchup and a sugar alternative. In a pinch for time? Use a bottle of French dressing and add a little chili sauce for flavor.
How to Make Cheeseburger Salad
- Rehydrate onions in boiling water.
- Prepare the dressing as directed in recipe below. Place it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cook ground beef with onion powder. Drain fat.
- Chop lettuce and divide into 4 servings, top with remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle on rehydrated onions.
Tips & Time Savers
- Make dressing in advance so its extra cold when ready to use. Prep in advance up to 3 days (keep it separate from the meat) and keep it chilled until ready to dress and serve!
- Ground beef can be made ahead and used cold or reheated, as desired. Try the tasty dressing in macaroni salad, deviled eggs, or even as a dip for tater tots!
Easy Storage Solutions
Keep leftover dressing in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to 5 days. Store leftover cheeseburger salad in an airtight container and add fresh lettuce and cheddar cheese to refresh it before serving.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce washed and chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dehydrated onion flakes
- 2 dill pickles sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ cup red onion
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Place 3 Tablespoons of dehydrated onion flakes in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all ingredients except milk in a small bowl. Microwave 25 seconds, stir well and refrigerate. Once cool, add in milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Brown ground beef with onion powder until fully cooked. Drain any fat and set aside.
- Divide the lettuce into quarters and top with cheese, beef, tomatoes, pickles, and onion. Top with the dressing and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of onion flakes, serve immediately.
- Prep salad in advance and refrigerate up to 3 days! Make ground beef ahead of time, refrigerate separately from salad ingredients.
- Refrigerate leftover dressing in a jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to 5 days. Keep leftover cheeseburger salad in the refrigerator and in an airtight container.
- Add fresh lettuce and cheddar cheese to refresh the salad before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.