Caramel Brownies are a deliciously decadent dessert oozing with caramel, encased in a moist brownie and topped with chocolate chips and pecans. In a word, delectable!
Brownies are a favorite around here, whether it’s buckeye brownies, Reese’s cookie dough brownies, or a fun twist like butterscotch blondies we can’t get enough. They are decadent, delicious, and the perfect dessert or snack!
Pin it to your DESSERTS BOARD to SAVE it for later!
Follow CentsLess Meals on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Best Homemade Caramel Brownies
Basic brownie batters are all the same – butter or oil, flour, sugar, and eggs. But this brownie batter is extra delicious with the addition of caramel and pecans for the best dessert!
Chocolate: When it comes to the chocolatey star, there are three basic batter additions to consider: melted chocolate, cocoa powder, or some combination of the two. Depending on your choice, the brownies will range from chewy, cakey mouthfuls of chocolate to dense, intense chocolate transfusions.
In this recipe, there’s only melted, semi-sweet chocolate which yields the most decadent, fudgiest result. It’s an enviable chunk of chocolatey goodness that just might melt in your hand if you’re slow on the uptake!
Caramel: To create a firm caramel layer we use caramel candies! They melt beautifully to allow you to pour it over the half-baked brownies but will firm up nicely when cooled for easy cutting and less mess while enjoying these yummy bite-sized pieces of heaven!
For extra caramelly goodness, drizzle the tops of the brownies with a premade caramel sauce! It is so delicious, especially when sprinkled with a little sea salt…salted caramel brownies anyone?
Pecans: Chopped pecans make the perfect turtle brownie inspired addition. But feel free to substitute it out for walnuts, cashews, peanuts, or even pretzels.
You can’t go wrong with a crunchy addition to this recipe!
How to Make Caramel Brownies
This easy recipe comes together in three layers, topped with the perfect amount of chocolate chips and chopped pecans!
- Prep the brownie batter and bake half of it in a pan (per recipe below).
- Melt caramels with cream, mix in pecans and pour over half-baked brownie layer.
- Spoon remaining brownie batter over top and sprinkle with chocolate chips & pecans.
- Bake until cooked through.
Let these caramel brownies completely cool before cutting to allow the caramel layer to fully set!
How to Store
These caramel brownies are best stored on the counter if it isn’t too hot, or in the fridge to keep the caramel layer set.
They can even be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Be sure to let them come to room temperature before enjoying. This gives the caramel layer a chance to soften before you bite into it!
More Chocolatey Goodness
Caramel Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies – only 4 ingredients
3 Minute Microwave Fudge – ready in under 5 mins!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls – a perfect bite-sized dessert
Chocolate Truffles – rich, smooth, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious!
German Chocolate Pie – loaded with chocolate flavor!
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips Divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped, divided
- 14 ounces caramel candies unwrapped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9X13 inch baking dish by lining it with a double layer of aluminum foil and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine 2 cups of the chocolate chips with the butter, in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave in 1 minute intervals at 50% power, stirring between intervals, until melted. Stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla until incorporated. Add flour and salt just until combined.
- Pour half the brownie mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven leaving the oven on and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the caramels and cream. Microwave for 30 seconds intervals, at 50% power, stirring between intervals, until melted (watch mixture carefully-it can easily burn-low heat is imperative!). Stir half the pecans into melted caramel.
- Evenly pour melted caramel mixture over partially baked brownies. Spoon the remaining brownie batter over the top of the caramel layer and spread it out with an offset spatula. Sprinkle top with remaining chocolate chips and remaining pecans.
- Return to oven for 22 minutes. Allow to cool completely in baking dish, set on a wire rack, then refrigerate 2 hours before cutting.
- To serve, lift out of the pan using the edges of the foil and cut into individual portions.
Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe