This creamy tomato pasta goes from stovetop to tabletop in just minutes and the kids love it!
Tender penne pasta is cooked in a creamy tomato sauce and then topped with crispy seasoned chicken breast strips.
It’s a quick and easy dinner that the whole family is sure to enjoy!
Our Favorite Easy Pasta Recipe
- Easy and versatile, creamy tomato pasta with chicken is a welcome weekday dinner that’s hearty and flavorful. Plus cleanup is a cinch!
- This is an economical recipe, perfect for using up leftover meats and veggies or for sneaking in some healthy veggies like spinach, green beans, or broccoli for picky eaters!
- This pasta recipe is always a crowd-pleaser and perfect to make ahead and take to potlucks or parties! Serve with some thick slices of garlic toast and a crisp salad for a complete dinner.
- For a meatless meal, simply omit the chicken.
Ingredients and Variations
Chicken: Sliced and cooked chicken strips over the creamy pasta make for an attractive presentation, but the chicken can be cut into chunks if you like. Use grilled chicken or even rotisserie chicken if it’s available.
Pasta: Penne is the perfect shape for pasta sauces to cling to. Other medium-sized pasta to use is bow-tie, ziti, rigatoni, or fusilli.
Sauce: This creamy pasta sauce is made easy with a jar of marinara and Alfredo sauce. Zest up the sauce with a dash of red pepper flakes, if you like!
Variations: Ground Italian sausage, ground beef, shrimp, and ready-made frozen meatballs are excellent protein substitutes. Sliced mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, sliced black olives, or chopped zucchini will add texture and more flavor!
How to Make Creamy Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- Prepare pasta according to package directions and cook the chicken strips.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, add broth and simmer.
- Add marinara and Alfredo sauces, simmer.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta, top with sliced chicken strips and parmesan cheese.
Creamy tomato pasta with chicken reheats perfectly as leftovers! Keep leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop with a little milk (or cream) to loosen up the sauce, if needed. Freezing is not recommended since pasta generally does not thaw well, but it’s so easy to make, why not just start fresh?
Have you tried this Shortcut Creamy Tomato Pasta with Chicken recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Shortcut Creamy Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- Cook pasta in boiling water until it is al dente according to the package directions. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken strips according to the package instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- Pour in chicken broth and cook 3 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in the marinara and Alfredo sauces.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Toss sauce together with cooked pasta. Top with chicken strips and parmesan cheese.
- Nutrition calculated without chicken strips.
- Add a pop of freshness with chopped fresh basil leaves or parsley as a garnish.
- If you prefer a spicier kick, sprinkle some red pepper flakes into the tomato sauce while it’s simmering.
- Don’t overcook the pasta! Cook it al dente, which means it should still have a slight bite to it.
- Consider adding some sautéed vegetables like bell peppers, mushrooms, or spinach to the creamy tomato pasta.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.