Try making a mini apple pie dessert plate and watch these bites of goodness disappear off the platter!
Mini apple pies are a fun fall treat made with ready-made ingredients like apple pie filling and pie crust. With just a few simple steps the pie filling is wrapped within the pie dough and baked into a sweet and delicious dessert. These individual apple pies are easy to make and super fun to eat, too.
Handheld Mini Apple Pies!
- Handheld mini apple pies are the perfect after school or rainy day treat, and it’s fun when the kids help make them!
- Individual apple pies are perfectly portioned for a party, potluck, or even an office meeting!
- Make someone’s day and slip one of these portable pies into a backpack or briefcase!
- With only 5 ingredients, this easy recipe is ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes!
Ingredients And Variations
APPLES: If using a can of apple pie filling, be sure to chop them into smaller pieces, or make your own apple pie filling. There are so many pie filling flavors to choose from, feel free to switch out the apple for cherry, blackberry, blueberry, peach…the list goes on! Try making the filling for this fresh strawberry pie!
PASTRY: Use a prepared, store-bought pie crust rolled to 1/8” thickness. Or choose crescent rolls or puff pastry dough for other fun mini pie crusts.
SPICES: Cinnamon sugar lightly sweetens the pie filling but is optional if the apple pie filling is already sweetened. For a more fragrant, spicy warmth, a dash of nutmeg, allspice, and cloves can be added. Or make these tasty cinnamon roll apple pie bites.
How to Make a Mini Apple Pie Bites
- Prep cinnamon sugar and pie filling.
- Roll out dough, cut into circles, and place pie filling on each.
- Brush edges with egg wash, fold dough over and crimp with a fork.
- Cut slits in each top, brush with remaining egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake until golden brown (as per the recipe below). Cool completely.
Whisk 1 teaspoon of milk with ¼ cup of powdered sugar, then drizzle or spread over the apple pie bites as they are cooling.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- For extra light and flaky crust, chill the apple pie bites for about 30 minutes before baking.
- The egg wash step is necessary to seal the edges together. This prevents the filling from bubbling out during baking, and it gives a shiny, finished look to the tops.
- Top with a drizzle of caramel syrup, white icing, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
How to Store Mini Apple Pie Bites
Refrigerate leftover mini apple pie bites for up to 4 days. Freeze cooled apple pie bites, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a zippered bag, for up to 4 weeks.
Thaw apple pie bites in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Reheat pastries in the air fryer, microwave, or oven.
Other Tasty Pastries!
- Apple Hand Pies – like freshly baked apple pie
- Fresh Strawberry Pie – a beautiful dessert
- Easy Apple Turnovers Recipe – easy with crescent rolls
- Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Bites – delish using cinnamon roll dough
Mini Apple Pie Bites
- 1 teaspoon milk or more if glaze is too thick
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop apple pie filling into small pieces, mix with ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Beat the egg with water until combined.
- Roll out pie dough to ⅛" thickness. Cut 9 circles using a 4-inch circle cutter.
- In the center of each, circle add 1 tablespoon pie filling and brush edges with egg wash.
- Fold dough over creating a half circle, and use a fork to crimp the edges together. Slice the top of each pie bite a few times, or in a decorative pattern.
- Brush the remaining with egg wash, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 12 minutes, and cool completely on a rack.
- Top with glaze if desired.
- Chill apple pie bites for about 30 minutes before baking for light and flaky crust.
- The egg wash step is necessary to seal the edges together, and prevent the filling from bubbling out during baking.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 4 days in a sealed container. Apple pie bites can be frozen, simply wrap individually in plastic wrap and place in a zippered bag for up to 4 weeks.