Homemade Apple Pie Filling has all the flavors of fresh apples and cinnamon spice!
Everyone knows that the best apple pie filling is usually made from scratch. With this easy recipe any baker, no matter how inexperienced, can make the most delicious pie filling right at home. It’s super easy! So put that can opener away, because nothing compares to the crisp texture and spicy cinnamon & nutmeg flavor of apples cooked fresh on the stove top.
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
PIN IT to your DESSERTS board to SAVE it for later!
Follow TheShortcutKitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Best Apple Pie Filling
There are just so many things to love about this recipe!
- Just 7 staples ingredients mean that this recipe can be made with ingredients found in the pantry.
- Easy to customize and it’s great to replace this filling into any apple dessert that strikes your fancy. Try the easiest and tastiest Cinnamon Apple Crescent Rolls ever, or make a tasty Crock Pot Apple Cobbler Recipe.
- Fresh taste without preservatives or extra sugar, and no high fructose corn syrup.
- Just the right balance of spices & sugar to fruit. There’s no “too much” of anything.
Ingredients & Variations
APPLES Granny Smith is the go-to apple for baking. They are crisp and tart, even slightly sour—a pleasant pairing that goes with sugary pastries. Other tart apple varieties include Pink Lady, Braeburn, or McIntosh.
SPICES Cinnamon & nutmeg are all that’s called for, to keep it simple. Feel free to make a signature spice mix by adding ginger, allspice, or even a pinch of cloves.
EXTRAS Raisins, currants, or other fruits like rhubarb, cranberries, or pears can be added to make a rich, rounded fruit filling.
BUTTER Butter adds a creamy & savory flavor that makes the filling taste almost like caramel. So delicious!
How to Make Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- Melt butter with spices, stir in prepared apples, sugar, & water.
- Cook (per the recipe below), then add the thickener.
- Once apples are soft and filling has thickened, cool completely, then store or use.
- A fun tip for that end of the summer bounty: make apple pie popsicles by pouring some apple pie filling into popsicle molds, about halfway to the top. Fill the rest with apple juice or cider and freeze for a fun summer or autumn treat!
- Keep homemade apple pie filling in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. The sugar will preserve it, as long as it’s kept cool.
- One of the greatest things about this recipe is that it’s so easy to freeze for use in future desserts. Add to freezer-safe containers or zippered bags and for best results use within 6 months.
Apple Pie Filling Desserts
- Easy Apple Fritters – so tasty with coffee!
- Crock Pot Apple Cobbler Recipe – super simple.
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake – creamy and tart!
- Apple Cranberry Crisp – with streusel topping.
Homemade Apple Pie Filling
- Peel and core the apples cutting them into small pieces.
- Melt butter in a saucepan with cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the apples, sugar, and water.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes or until the apples are tender. Stir together 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and 1Tablespoon water, then stir into the apple mixture.
- Continue to cook apples until they are soft and the filling has thickened. Cool completely.