It only takes a few ingredients to make these sweet and tangy crockpot BBQ chicken sliders that are made even better with smoky, crispy bacon!
Scoop ‘em up in sweet Hawaiian roles and get the party started! Keep them warm in a crockpot with a platter of slider rolls on the side and let everyone have at it!
Tangy Chicken Sliders!
- Bite-sized bbq sliders are made with shredded chicken that’s been slow-cooked in a crockpot with your fave bbq sauce to make a tasty side or appetizer that’s always a party favorite!
- This crowd-pleasing recipe is so easy to put together and can even be served without the rolls, on a bed of lettuce for a low-carb and lower calories entrée salad!
- Prep the recipe in advance and serve all week long in omelets, sammies, wraps, on top of baked potatoes, almost anything you can think of!
Ingredients and Variations
MEAT: Use fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or pull meat from a ready-made rotisserie chicken! Even leftover fried or grilled chicken, turkey, or shredded pork will work! Bacon can be regular, peppered, honey-maple, or if time is short, simply toss in a handful of pre-made bacon bits into the crockpot!
BBQ SAUCE: BBQ sauce comes in so many different flavors! Choose your favorite bottled brand or try a new recipe using a homemade honey garlic sauce.
EXTRAS: Top BBQ bacon chicken sliders with shredded cheese like mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or cheddar cheese. Even some sliced jalapenos and diced green chiles make for a zesty presentation!
How to Make Chicken Sliders
This recipe is “easy does it!”
- Fry bacon and onions (as per recipe below).
- Place chicken, barbecue sauce, bacon, onions, and water in a crockpot and cover.
- Cool on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve on slider rolls.
Tips for the Best Sliders
Keep prepared sliders warm by covering them in aluminum foil and placing them in the oven, in a chafing dish, or back in the crock pot.
- Separate leftover bbq bacon chicken mixture from rolls and keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks and thaw in the refrigerator.
BBQ Bacon Chicken Sliders
- 1 pound chicken breasts boneless and skinless (approx. 3 large breasts)
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce
- 6 slices bacon cut into ½" pieces
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 12 rolls such as Hawaiian Honey Wheat rolls
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the sliced onions to the skillet and sauté over medium-low heat until they are soft and golden brown, stirring frequently. This will take about 15 minutes.
- In a 4 quart crockpot combine chicken, barbecue sauce, cooked bacon, onions, and water. Stir well.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker when it has reached 165°F and shred. Add back to the barbecue sauce. Serve on rolls.
- This mixture for these sliders will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep separate from the bun.
- They will also keep in the freezer for 4 weeks.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.