Caramel Apple Poke Cake is the perfect easy dessert for fall. No one would ever guess that this moist caramel loaded cake started from a box mix.
Fall is just around the corner which means it’s time in start baking and enjoying yummy treats like this Caramel Apple Poke Cake! No one can pass up the combo of caramel and apples!
The search for your go-to fall dessert ends here with this Caramel Apple Poke Cake recipe!
Caramel Apple Poke Cake
Pin it to your DESSERT BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
Caramel Apples are the classic fall treat and now you can enjoy the same great flavors in a cake! This Caramel Apple Poke Cake has apples, Caramel Sauce, and even peanuts on top. The best part is that it’s a cinch to make since it’s made with a box mix. I’m usually all for baking from scratch but the extra work isn’t needed with how much you’re doctoring things up.
Your classic poke cake is made into the perfect fall dessert by using the spice flavor mix variety and folding a can of apple pie filling into the batter. You can use homemade but canned works great. I highly recommend you chop the apples small so they can disperse throughout the cake.
What is a Poke Cake?
If you don’t know what a poke cake is then you are in for a real treat!
This type of cake typically starts out with a simple cake made in a 9×13 inch pan and is often made using a box mix. After the cake is baked and cooled for a few minutes, the cake is then poked all over the top using the end of a wooden spoon or a straw. You’ll think you totally ruined your cake but trust me, you want the holes.
After poking the cake pour a sweet sauce, such as caramel, chocolate sauce, or sweetened condensed milk, over the top. The holes allow the sauce to seep into the cake, making it extremely moist and ultra delicious. The cake is then finished off with whipped cream and a sprinkling of some sort of topping like heath, nuts, chocolate, or sprinkles. If you love apple desserts like Caramel Apple Dump Cake and Caramel Apple Trifle, you are going to love this Caramel Apple Poke Cake for sure!
What kind of cake mix should I use?
You can use white, vanilla, or yellow, but for amazing flavor that captures the essence of fall, I highly recommend using the spice mix. It’s loaded with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves which are the spices of the season. If you don’t have the spice variety on hand, just add 2 teaspoons cinnamon to the batter and it will turn out just as yummy.
What other toppings can I put on the Caramel Apple Poke Cake?
I chose to top this cake with peanuts because they are a classic caramel apple topping but if you’re not a fan of nuts or want to be allergy friendly, some other great toppings include: heath, toffee, or mini chocolate chips.
These are some more simple and delicious caramel and apple recipes:
Salted Caramel Cupcakes So easy and tasty!
Caramel Apple Pie Bites with only 4 ingredients! A sweet, tart and easy dessert!
Save this easy cake recipe to make for your next fall gathering. Enjoy!
Caramel Apple Poke Cake
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 20 ounce can apple pie filling dice apples
- 1 ¼ cup caramel sauce divided
- 1 8 ounce tub Cool Whip thawed
- ½ cup roasted peanuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 if using a dark pan). Grease with cooking spray.
- Mix together the cake mix, water, eggs, and oil together with a hand electric mixer for 2 minutes. Fold in the apple pie filling and then spread evenly into the pan. Bake for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes and then poke the top of the cake with the end of a wooden spoon or a straw, poking just halfway through (about an inch).
- Pour 1 cup of the caramel sauce over the top of the cake and cool completely and chill in the fridge.
- Spread Cool Whip over the top and sprinkle with peanuts. Slice and serve topped with more caramel sauce. Store in fridge.