Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole has all of the great flavor of homemade chicken cordon bleu, but it is much easier to make with rotisserie chicken. This easy and delicious casserole is prepped, cooked and ready to serve in under an hour!
Tender pieces of chicken, ham, and melted Swiss cheese are covered with a savory crumb topping and then smothered in a Dijon cream sauce. This easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is the kind of dinner your entire family will love!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Pin it to your DINNER BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
My family loves it when I make hearty casseroles like Cheeseburger Casserole and Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole for dinner. I knew this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole would not only be a hit with the entire family, because they already love my original Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe, but I knew I would love making it because it is an easy casserole recipe!
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole?
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is basically Chicken Cordon Bleu, deconstructed. All of the same ingredients found in a classic Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe are found in this recipe. I wanted it to have the same crispy topping and creamy sauce as well.
A basic Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe consists of chicken wrapped around ham and Swiss cheese, then coated with some kind of bread crumb topping, and baked to perfection. The cream sauce is optional, but if you ask me I think it’s a must.
For whatever reasons, the saltiness of the ham and the meltiness of the Swiss cheese perfectly compliment the chicken. I guarantee that if you make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole for dinner, your entire family will love it!
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
This recipe is so easy, in fact, that it almost feels like a cheat. You see, the most difficult part of making Chicken Cordon Bleu is the fact that you have to pound the raw chicken breasts and roll them around ham and Swiss. This easy recipe is actually a shredded cordon bleu casserole meaning no rolling required! You could make the same kind of easy casserole for a traditional chicken parmesan recipe.
To Make Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Shred rotisserie chicken.
- Combine chicken with ham and swiss cheese. Top with breadcrumb topping.
- While the casserole is baking, make the sauce.
- Serve the hot casserole with sauce.
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
This easy recipe is a meal unto itself. If you make enough sauce, you can serve it over pasta or rice. A side salad and some steamed veggies are great with this chicken casserole too!
More Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheeseburger Casserole – Family favorite!
- Easy Tuna Casserole – Shortcut recipe, ready in minutes!
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole – Easy!
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- Easy Taco Casserole – Kids love this recipe!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken
- 8 oz ham sliced thin
- 6 oz swiss cheese sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 4 T butter melted
- 1 tsp garlic herb blend
- 1 T butter
- 1 T flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 3 T parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from bones and shred. Combine chicken with ham, swiss cheese, and chicken broth in large casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan, melted butter and garlic herb seasonings. Sprinkle over chicken. Cover and bake until heated through and cheese has melted, about 20 minutes.
- While the casserole is cooking, make the sauce. In a saucepan melt the butter, then add the flour and whisk together. Cook for several minutes while continually whisking to avoid burning.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Continue to heat until the milk bubbles and begins to thicken, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in dijon, parmesan, and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, pour warm sauce over casserole.