© CentsLess Meals
How to Make Banana Pudding Poke Cake
PIN IT to your dessert board to save it and share it!
Be sure to follow CentsLessDeals on Pinterest!
If you like banana cream pie (and let’s face it, who doesn’t), you’ll love this Banana Cream Poke Cake recipe!!
If you’ve never made a poke cake before, you’re in for a real treat! Poke cakes generally consist of a cake baked in a 9×13 pan and then, as the name suggests, the cake is poked to create holes. A filling such as pudding or jello is poured over the cake and it soaks into the cake creating a ridiculously moist and delicious treat! The other great thing about poke cakes are that the longer they sit, the better they taste making them the perfect make ahead dessert. If you have a potluck dinner coming up, this cake is the perfect choice!
To make this recipe extra easy and fast, I start with a boxed yellow cake mix. If you have a favorite homemade from scratch cake, you can certainly use it in this recipe! I top it with pudding but I’ve also used a can of sweetened condensed milk from time to time just drizzling it over before I add the pudding.
I use whipped topping (such as Cool Whip) because it’s easy but you can use freshly whipped cream in this dessert as well. If you’re topping your cake with fresh banana slices, toss them in a little bit of lemon juice to keep it from browning and add them just before serving.
As I’m sure you can tell just by looking at the ingredients, this cake can be made with ANY flavor of cake mix or pudding following the same steps as below.
Here are a few of my favorite Pudding Poke Cake Combinations:
- Rich Chocolate: Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Pudding
- Boston Cream: Yellow cake, vanilla pudding & topped with an easy chocolate ganache
- Lemon Burst Poke Cake: Tender vanilla cake with extra lemony flavor added and lemon frosting!
- Grasshopper Poke Cake: Chocolate and Mint make the perfect moist cake!
- Strawberries & Cream Cake: White cake, vanilla pudding and fresh strawberry infused whipped topping.
The possibilities are endless so let your imagination go wild!
Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- box yellow cake mix
- 2 packages instant banana pudding mix
- 8 oz whipped topping
- Nilla Wafers
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 cups milk
- Prepare cake in a 9x13 pan as directed on package.
- While cake is cooling, prepare banana pudding as directed on package.
- Poke holes in cake with handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour banana pudding across the top of the cake.
- Top with Cool Whip. Add crushed Nilla Wafers to the top of Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.