This recipe for Warm German Potato Salad is perfect for all occasions. Full of robust flavors and textures, this salad will definitely be a crowd-pleaser at any backyard barbecue or potluck this summer!
This potato salad side dish will go perfectly alongside baked pork chops, slow cooker balsamic roast beef or honey garlic roasted pork tenderloin along with a side of pickled beets for beautiful color!
German Potato Salad
Pin it to your SIDES BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
If you are looking for the next big thing to bring to your neighborhood potluck, this Warm German Potato Salad recipe is all you need. Quick, easy to make and absolutely bold with fragrant flavors, this salad will need no introduction and will be gone in a heartbeat.
German Potato Salad Ingredients
This recipe is so simple to make, and with just a handful of ingredients you get maximum flavor!
- Vegetables – baby red potatoes are a great variety to use in any potato salad because they are firm enough to hold their shape when cooked. Red onion and green onion are delicious additions.
- Bacon – bacon is cooked crisp for an abundance of flavor and texture!
- Dressing – a light and tangy red onion mustard dressing covers the entire mixture.
How To Make German Potato Salad
It takes 3 easy steps for this tasty German style potato salad recipe to come together.
- Boil: Cut potatoes into halves or quarters and boil until just tender (per recipe below). Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Saute: Cook bacon until crisp and set aside, pouring 1 tablespoon bacon grease over potatoes. Saute the red onion in the skillet until tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer.
- Mix: Combine all ingredients and toss until evenly coated.
Season with salt and pepper, garnish with reserved green onion and parsley, and enjoy!
Tips For Success!
Be sure to boil your potatoes just until tender. This helps the potatoes maintain their shape and texture.
While this Warm German Potato Salad is perfect served immediately after being made, it is also delicious served cold. What a convenient make-ahead salad for your next potluck or backyard barbecue! Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for maximum freshness.
This recipe can also be frozen to enjoy at a later time. Place salad in an airtight container or zippered bag and label with the date. It will last for about 3-4 months if stored this way. To thaw, place in the refrigerator overnight or in a sink filled with very cold water for faster defrosting.
Should you choose to reheat this potato salad, simply microwave for 30-second intervals until warmed through.
Make this Warm German Potato Salad your “go-to” side dish, I promise you will be happy that you did.
Other Easy Salad Recipes
Creamy Potato Salad – a classic!
Creamy Caramel Apple Salad – so unexpected yet delicious!
Cranberry Jello Salad – perfect for holidays.
Creamy Grape Salad – a family favorite.
Spinach Strawberry Salad – light and refreshing!
German Potato Salad Recipe
- 2½ pounds red potatoes cut in half or quartered
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium red onion diced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup green onions diced, reserving about 1 tablespoon for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley fresh or dried
- Cut baby red potatoes and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Allow to boil 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut 8 slices of bacon into small pieces and cook in a large skillet until browned. Remove bacon, place on a paper towel and set aside. Pour 1 tablespoon bacon grease over potatoes and reserve the remaining grease in the skillet.
- Sauté red onions in skillet over medium heat until tender. Add mustard, sugar, vinegar, water and avocado oil. Whisk to combine then add green onions. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add diced bacon to potatoes, then pour the onion vinaigrette mixture over and mix. Garnish with reserved diced green onions, dried parsley and salt and pepper.