These Lemon Cupcakes are super light and fluffy and topped with a sweet lemon buttercream frosting. They’re the perfect spring cupcake!
A new season calls for new flavors and these Lemon Cupcakes are the perfect way to welcome the warm weather. The light and fluffy texture of the cupcake pairs so well with the bright sweet citrus flavor just like the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins and Creamy Lemon Pie. These cupcakes are sure to bring a smile to your face with your first bite!
Pin it to your DESSERT BOARD to save it for later!
Be sure to follow CentsLessMeals on Pinterest for more great meal ideas!
How to make Lemon Cupcakes:
While this is may be a super simple lemon cupcake recipe, the result is over the top delicious! The batter for the base of the cupcake requires minimal equipment- just one mixing bowl and a whisk.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients so that the leavening agent (baking powder) is evenly distributed.
- Add in almost all the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Mix in boiling water until smooth. The batter will be really thin.
- Pour into lined tins and bake.
This recipe makes 12 perfect cupcakes. The easiest way to fill the cupcake liners with the batter is to scoop the batter out with either a 1/4 cup measuring cup or a large trigger ice cream scoop.
Pop the tin in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Every oven is a little different so I recommend to always check for doneness at the lower end of the time range given. The cupcakes are done when a toothpick comes out dry after poking it into the center of a cupcake.
How to Make Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
The lemon frosting on top of this cupcake is divine! It only takes 4 ingredients – butter, powdered sugar, lemon extract, and heavy cream. Whip it all together with the paddle attachment on you electric mixer and spread or pipe it on the cupcakes.
How to Frost Cupcakes:
One way to apply the frosting is to place it into a piping bag and swirl it over the top of your cupcakes. If you want to keep things simple or just don’t have that equipment, you can spread it on with a knife or small cake spatula. Just add about 1 1/2 tablespoons frosting (a trigger cookie scoop works perfectly for this!) to the top of your cupcake and spread it out to the edges. I do this by holding the knife still and truing the cupcake in a circle with the other hand.
These lemon cupcakes can be served with just the lemon buttercream frosting or you can add a little pizzazz with a sprinkling of lemon zest and a slice of lemon. It is a super easy, bright and fresh decoration idea!
If you like to pipe the frosting onto your cupcake a mile high, I recommend doubling the frosting ingredients.
More Delicious Cupcake Recipes To Try
For the Lemon Cupcakes:
For the Lemon Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, zest, baking powder, and salt. Create a well in the center.
- Add the egg, milk, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and extract into the well. Mix until everything is combined. Add the boiling water and whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into paper liners using a measuring cup or trigger scoop. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from tin when cool enough to handle. Frost when cool.
For the Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat the butter for 2 minutes on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar followed by the cream, extract and salt. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 5 minutes or pale in color.
- Frost cupcakes, sprinkle with zest, and top with half a lemon slice.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.