Grilled watermelon is next-level delicious!
The natural sugar in watermelon gets caramelized with a tangy balsamic vinaigrette, creating an unforgettable subtle, sweet, and smoky flavor.
Who knew that something so simple could turn out so incredibly delicious?
A Fun Side Dish!
- Just two steps! Watermelon and grilling go hand-in-hand in the summer.
- Make this grilled watermelon recipe and pack it up as a healthy, hydrating snack on road trips, picnics, and camping trips!
- Grilled watermelon is versatile and goes with everything from steaks to chicken to shrimp!
Just 2 Ingredients!
Watermelon – Look for symmetrical melons with uniform color. Find the ‘yellow spot’ where it ripened on the ground. It should be a dark shade of yellow or yellow-orange, which signifies ripeness.
Vinaigrette – Any bottle of balsamic vinaigrette will work, but avoid using straight balsamic vinegar as it will make the watermelon too tart and soak into the fruit instead of coating the outside of it.
Variations – Add a spoonful of honey and cayenne pepper to the dressing for a sweeter, spicier kick. Honey and grated ginger, lemon or lime zest, or finely chopped basil or mint will also create new flavor profiles.
How to Grill Watermelon
- Brush vinaigrette on 1” thick wedges of watermelon.
- Grill on high heat until grill marks appear. Serve immediately.
How to Serve Watermelon
- Grilled watermelon is the perfect hand-held bite and can be served as an appetizer, a side dish, or a dessert.
- Top grilled watermelon with crumbled feta cheese and serve on toasted crostini, or cut the watermelon into small cubes and zest up a cucumber radish salad, or use it to make a refreshing watermelon cucumber salad.
- Top wedges of grilled watermelon with fresh whipped cream and a few blueberries for a fun and festive dessert!
- Blend leftover grilled watermelon with a splash of lime juice and freeze into ice cubes for iced tea, cocktails, or popsicles!
- Smaller wedges can be used as colorful (and edible!) garnishes for a refreshing pitcher of watermelon sangria or luscious Cosmos for the ladies!
Best Grilled Watermelon Tips
Thread watermelon wedges on skewers for easy handling and serving, if desired. Wooden skewers should be soaked in water for 30 minutes to keep them from burning on the grill. Thread watermelon with cantaloupe or honeydew melon for a more dramatic dish!
Have you tried this Grilled Watermelon recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
- 1 medium watermelon
- ¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Slice watermelon into 1-inch thick wedges, leaving the rind on.
- Brush each slice of watermelon with the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Place the watermelon slices on the grill in direct heat for 2-3 minutes per side until grill marks are visible.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
©The Shortcut Kitchen. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.